Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Macbook Pro Graphics Problems

When I am watching videos, online or on my hard drive, I get some screen distortion and I'm not sure what is causing it. Automatic graphics switching is turned off. Please help.

Here is an example of the distortion:

User uploaded file

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and am running OS X 10.9.2. My processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 and I have 8 GB 1078 MHz DDR3 of RAM installed.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 8:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2014 4:16 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I used Pehtis' suggestion here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5673404?start=30&tstart=0

It has worked thus far.

Here is his post

"I think i have a possible solution to this problem, at least for the MacBook Pro 2010.

To fix it you have to disable compressed memory by typing the following command in the terminal:

sudo nvram boot-args="vm_compressor=1"

and then Restarting your Mac.

I'm guessing that its a bug in the driver of the Intel HD Graphics integrated GPU used in the 2010 MacBook Pro and somehow a part of the graphics RAM is accidentally compressed. I've been testing for a day or so and so far no graphics corruption at all.

If it gets fixed in an OSX update or it doesn't work for you you can use:

sudo nvram -d boot-args

and then Restart to reenable compressed memory.

It might affect other Intel GPUs so its worth a shot if you have a similar problem."

2010 Macbook Pro Graphics Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.