Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden dead pixel?

I recently replaced the hard drive in my late 2009 iMac, and after carefully reassembling the components, I've got what appears to be a dead pixel near the middle of my screen. (I really hope it's just dust.)

Assuming the worst and that it is a dead pixel, what would've caused it? I was exceptionally careful when working inside the iMac, only lifting out the display the bare minimum distance to access the hard drive, and the only display cable I unplugged during the process was the vertical sync ribbon cable.

Any thoughts?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 7:52 PM

I would pull the glass panel back off to get a closer look at the display and the back side of the glass.

Additionally see > About LCD display pixel anomalies which also might help you to determine if it is just a spec of dirt or a dark pixel.

3 replies

Apr 24, 2014 5:25 AM in response to den.thed

It's really hard to tell, because if it's a dead pixel (or "dark pixel anomaly"), then it's a single one. As such, it's really difficult to see, even when I've looked at the thing close up. However, I'm beginning to lean towards dead pixel, as I can't see any colors through it at all; tried a variety of different backgrounds.

I'll open the display up again and clean it out again just to make sure, but if it's a dead pixel, there is no fix for that short of replacing the entire display, correct?

Sudden dead pixel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.