Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore missing app icons in Dock

I just had this issue and found the solution, so I wanted to share it.

I used CleanMyMac 2, which has never given me issues before, and lost some app icons in my dock.

All you need to do to restore missing dock icons is open up Terminal and copy and paste this:

killall Dock

My icons all returned instantly.

It's the easiest solution out there. And remember to run Permissions Repair with Disk Utility in case anything else got messed up.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 12:31 AM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2014 5:01 AM in response to trishacupra

I don't know that I would necessarily agree that CleanMyMac is "the closest thing to a virus." However, it is known to cause problems, even corrupting systems beyond repair in some cases, requiring reinstallation of the system.

In addition, the basic premise of CleanMyMac is wrong. Macs do not need the kind of "cleaning" that apps like this provide. See The myth of the dirty Mac. Uninstall CleanMyMac, and never install it or any similar "cleaning" app ever again.

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

Apr 24, 2014 9:50 AM in response to thomas_r.

thomas_r. wrote:

I don't know that I would necessarily agree that CleanMyMac is "the closest thing to a virus." However, it is known to cause problems, even corrupting systems beyond repair in some cases, requiring reinstallation of the system.

That pretty much describes a virus. In a PC environment, they corrupt the system, often beyond repair, and just as often, requiring a complete reinstall.

Apr 24, 2014 10:25 AM in response to C F McBlob

That pretty much describes a virus.

Actually, most Mac malware does not cause any visible problems, unless something goes wrong. Malware does its best to stay hidden... causing the machine to crash or slow down or have other assorted problems is a good way to get noticed and removed.

Even if malware did cause problems like those described, though, that still wouldn't mean that everything that causes problems is a virus. Most people are confused enough about what a "virus" is without folks applying that term to just about every piece of junk software in existence.

Apr 28, 2014 6:45 AM in response to trishacupra

The problem you're experiencing is a compatibility issue between an outdated version of CleanMyMac 2 (usually cracked versions) and OS X Mavericks.

To fix this, please force the application list reindexing by opening Terminal (you'll find it in the '/Applications/Utilities' folder) and pasting the following command there and press Return to execute the command:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock

Next, open Launchpad and allow some time for the applications to reindex. Also be sure to update CleanMyMac to the latest available CleanMyMac 2.2.3.

How to restore missing app icons in Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.