📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's the difference between mac app store, app store, iTunes store?

what's the difference between mac app store, app store and whatever itunes stores out there?

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 9:03 AM

12 replies

Apr 24, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Let me give you an example. I look up "Chinese translator" on mac app store from my computer and one item shows up. I look it up on itunes from my iphone and nothing is available. I look at the app store on my iphone and I get 748 results, which is what I am looking for. I simply want to find this app store on my computer so I can better see what is available. The iphone screen is too small for me to review the results. Thanks

Apr 25, 2014 12:07 PM in response to gmpooch

If you saying that the App Store on my phone and the App Store section of itunes on my computer are the same store,

It is.

could you please be kind enough to show me how to reach the 724 apps on my computer (just to look at, not to buy) that I get on my iPhone when I type: "chinese transla".

If I search the iTunes Store for "chinese translation", I get dozens of apps listed. Make sure you're searching the iTunes Store, not your library. The search box should say "search store". Also confirm that both your iPhone and iTunes on your computer are pointed to the same country's iTunes Store. Different countries' stores carry different items, so it's possible your computer is pointed to a different country's store. Look at the bottom of the iTunes window and make sure the round flag icon is the one for your country.

Maybe the App Shopper has all the same apps that are on my phone? I just looked, they say they have 1,000 apps. Is this a safe site to buy from?

App Shopper is not a store. The only store you can buy iPhone apps from is the iTunes Store. App Shopper is just a compendium site that lists apps that are available in the iTunes Store. When you click to buy an app, you're taken to the iTunes Store.

Regards.

Apr 24, 2014 9:43 AM in response to gmpooch

The terminology can be confusing, I know.

Mac App Store - the place where Apple sells apps for Mac OS X

iTunes Store - the place where Apple sells music, movies, and videos as well as apps for iOS devices

App Store - this can refer to the subset of the iTunes Store where people purchase apps for iOS devices. It can also refer to the app in Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later that you use to connect to the Mac App Store.

If you want to buy apps for your computer from Apple, you need to use the Mac App Store via the App Store app on your computer. If what you want isn't there, then you'll have to look elsewhere to see if some developer sells such an app directly. Unlike with an iOS device, Apple's store is not the only place where you can get applications for Mac OS X. You cannot use any app sold through the iTunes Store on your computer.

Regards.

Apr 24, 2014 3:29 PM in response to gmpooch

gmpooch wrote:

Let me give you an example. I look up "Chinese translator" on mac app store from my computer and one item shows up.

Where are you? I get 13 in the US. But those are not the best terms to use, because everyone does translation via online services, like

http://translate.googlecom

If you look up "Chinese" in the mac app store you should get a few dozen apps at least I think.

Apr 24, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

California, which I think is still in the US?! I am aware of google translate, I use it all the time. I was looking for a translator that would help me learn a few Chinese words and keep track of them on my iphone when I'm in China. My client/friends are very nice, I just thought I'd learn some of their language.

Yes, you are correct. You do get apps when you type "Chinese" but nothing when you add" translator."

I just didn't realize there was an App Store on my phone, different than itunes and not the same.

thank you,

Apr 25, 2014 6:30 AM in response to gmpooch

AppShopper returns several, if you haven't turned any yet:

http://appshopper.com/search/?search=chinese+translator

Perhaps one of those would work for you.

And the App Store app on your iPhone and the "app store" section of iTunes on your computer go to the same store, though the interfaces are unstandably quite different so they look like different entities. It's the Mac App Store, accessed via the App Store app on your computer, that's different.

Regards.

Apr 25, 2014 10:31 AM in response to varjak paw

Hey, thanks for the tip on the App Shopper page. This looks easier to read. I'll take a closer look this weekend.

IF you saying that the App Store on my phone and the App Store section of itunes on my computer are the same store, could you please be kind enough to show me how to reach the 724 apps on my computer (just to look at, not to buy) that I get on my iPhone when I type: "chinese transla". I only get one app on my computer, there is also an ispeak translator that shows up when I start to type, but I'm not getting the 724 hits that show up on my iPhone. I'd like to know how to reach these same apps.

It's just harder to look at things on my phone than if I was sitting looking at my computer. I'd like to make a decision on my computer, then I will buy it on my iPhone, if possible.

Thank you for all the assistance you have given me so far. Maybe the App Shopper has all the same apps that are on my phone? I just looked, they say they have 1,000 apps. Is this a safe site to buy from? Thanks again!

Pooch

Apr 25, 2014 10:42 AM in response to gmpooch

gmpooch wrote:

show me how to reach the 724 apps on my computer (just to look at, not to buy) that I get on my iPhone when I type: "chinese transla".

Open iTunes on your computer, go to the store, and search. You can also buy them there if you want, but they will only run on an iOS device.

The App Store on your computer can only show you apps for the Mac.

what's the difference between mac app store, app store, iTunes store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.