Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

print 2x2" passport photo

Despite setting aspect ratio at 1:1 and photo size at 2" x 2", 4" x 6" borderless photo on glossy paper, all I get is a 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" printed on plain paper. I know part of it is HP, but what am I doing wrong in iPhoto?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), June 2013 replacement by Apple

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 8:27 AM

7 replies

Apr 24, 2014 8:43 AM in response to dadoclare

Well it would help if we knew what verson of iPhoto you are using

And note that selectng a paper size is local to iPhoto and has nothing to do with the paper size in the printer - that is either done physcally on the printer changing the paer size in the drawer and loading the correct size paper in it or is done in the print driver for the printer on the last print screen - Photo simply sets the print up as youo tell it to - it does nothing to tell the printer what physical paper to use

and when you start the print exactly what selections are you making? The print preview window will reflect these selections and show you what will be sent to the printer

In short unless you tell us what you are doing in detail we can not possibley tell you what you are doing wrong

LN

Apr 24, 2014 9:13 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry, the tags on my original post show iPhoto 9.5.1 (902.17)

on our iMac running OS X 10.9.2

and that there is 4 x 6" photo paper in the proper printer tray

As to selections, in iPhoto's print window, I have

Presets: "Photo on Glossy Paper - Fine"

Feed from: Photo Tray

Media Type: Photo Glossy Paper

Quality: Bestg

I have used Macs since 1984 and iPhoto since it came into being, but since the newest upgrade, odd things (like this) are happening. That is why I reached out to the community.

In Print Preview, accessed through "open PDF in preview,"

General Info:

Document type: PDF

PDF version 1.4

Page size: 4 x 6 inches

Crop, however, allows no selection.

Apr 24, 2014 10:48 AM in response to LarryHN

okay: again, in Preview 7.0 (826.4), Tools/Content Only shows a white "4 x 6" with the 2" x 2" headshot centered in it.

Tools/Show Inspector/ General Info:

Document type: PDF

PDF version: 1.4

File size: 913 kb

Page size: 4 x 6 inches

PDF Producer: Mac OS X 10.9.2 Quartz PDFContext

Content Creator: iPhoto

Crop allows no selection.

I hate to appear dim, but I don't know what else you're looking for, Larry...

Apr 24, 2014 11:17 AM in response to dadoclare

The really big problem is that you posted in the iPhoto for Mac forum so of course the answers are about how to do it in iPhoto - for help on Preview you need to use the Preview Help menu or post in the forum for your OS

and you originally talked about using iPhoto

As to selections, in iPhoto's print window, I have

Presets: "Photo on Glossy Paper - Fine"

Feed from: Photo Tray

Media Type: Photo Glossy Paper

Quality: Bestg

The correct Detailed procedure to print a 2" x 2" photo is

Using iPhoto '11 version 9.5.1

select the photo - crop to 2x2 - go to the file menu ==> print - in the resulting window select the printer. the aper size (this willl NOT select a paper source - it onlys sets the print size to be sent to the printer) - paper type (if offered - it is no clear what this selection actually does) - then select the custom print size and at the bottom set to 1:1 ratio and 2" x 2" print size -

at this point the iPhoto preview window will reflect your selections and ahow a preview of what will print

click print and you will get the Printer driver window - click on show details and set printer specific options (these have nothing to do with iPhoto and are different for every printer - the settings hre may or may not actally select a paper source - that is up to your printer softare)

Then Print

The program Preview is not involved in any way

iPhoto does NOT select a paper source - your print drive may or may not - you may have to have the correct paper in the main paper source depending on your printer

LN

print 2x2" passport photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.