Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i move my ichat from my old computer to my new one?

How do I move my ichat from my old computer to my macbook pro?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 9:02 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2014 1:45 PM in response to leach1938

Hi,

You don't !!

Don't EVER do this with any version of iChat or Messages even between updates on the same OS

i.e. Messages 7 (OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.8.1) will not work once your have updated to OS X 10.8.2 (Messages becomes version 7.0.1 at that point).

iChat comes in various versions from 1 through to iChat 6 in Lion (there are subsets at various Lion Subset Updates).

At Mountain Lion ( OS X 10.8 and above) it becomes Messages but the numbering continues.

Initially version 7 and later updated as mentioned.

Mavericks has Version 8 which has been updated (although the version number did not change this time) at OS X 10.9.2.

Accounts that were used in iChat may appear in System Preferences> Internet Accounts if you Migrated the User from the old Mac.

If not you can add them in Messages > Preferences > Accounts.

Yahoo and Google are essentially the same.

AIM has been renamed as AOL.

Jabber accounte have to be added under Other.

When you start Messages from the first time it is likely to ask you for an Apple ID to use with iMessages.

iMessages comes from the iOS side of things and is Apple's own Messaging service. (It only works between Apple devices).

Messages also retains the Bonjour option.

This means Messages can use 5 different "Services".

iMessages will invoke FaceTime if you use the Video icon.

Only AIM and Jabber accounts including Google retains the iChat type in App Video abilities.

User uploaded file

9:45 pm Thursday; April 24, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 26, 2014 2:02 PM in response to leach1938

Hi,

I have come back to review this as the title included reference to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5224

From AIM you may also see this:-

User uploaded file

The basic premise seems to be that AIM are no longer going to support (accept) the three types of Apple Issued IDs and leave @icloud.com ones as the only ones.

The Messages appearing in Mavericks seems ot override the implication in the article that moving to a later version of Lion (later iChat 6) and higher will be one resolution.

The article finishes with suggesting Maverick OR changing to an AIM Name - apparently missing that you need either an AIM name for older iChats if you ar not going to Upgrade OR needing an AIM or @icloud.com ID if using you are upgrading.

Solution.

Create a new Buddy list. (whilst keeping the old one active). It does not matter if you are upgraded or Not at this point.

Make the Screen Name an AIM registered one if you are going to be still using iChat 5 or lower or an early version of iChat 6 in Lion.

Now highlight every single Buddy in your old Buddy list (Display Off LIne Buddies as well).

Click the the top one and hold Shift whilst clicking the bottom one.

Click and Drag to new Buddy List.

I have moved 264 this way before.

User uploaded file

10:02 pm Saturday; April 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

how do i move my ichat from my old computer to my new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.