Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Push notifications WhatsApp not work.

Push notifications WhatsApp not work. I only receive them when I open the app. I've checked the settings on iOs and Whatsapp and all is ok. I've also updated to the latest versions. Can you help me?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 10:22 AM

53 replies

Apr 7, 2017 10:09 AM in response to manfermol

It's 2017 and I still having this same problem. Try everything beside "erase and start as new Phone", still the same. It's clearly iphone/IOS problem because it's a universal problem. Whatsapp, Wechat, FB messenger, or any apps with push notification didn't work unless I open the app manually to check it.

Erase and Start as new losing all your data is NOT a solution, shame on you Apple.

Aug 12, 2014 3:46 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

I actually did, and here is the answer I received:

"When you are sent a message in WhatsApp, but are not online to receive it, WhatsApp will automatically send your message to the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS). This allows an alert containing the message to be displayed, even when WhatsApp is closed or your phone's display is off. Most often, all that is needed to resolve notification issues is to ensure that all notification settings are enabled. Review these FAQ pages for troubleshooting steps:

Sending your message to APNS typically takes only a few milliseconds. Once your message is sent to APNS, any delays or failure to deliver the message as a push notification to your device are usually caused by issues with your phone or network connection. Currently, all of our systems are operating normally.

If you are using iOS 7, and are confident that you have all push notification settings enabled in WhatsApp and the iPhone Notification Center, then there is likely an issue with your phone that WhatsApp cannot resolve for you. In this case, I recommend the following steps:

• Backup your entire phone to iCloud.
  • After the backup is complete, Erase all content and settings.
  • Continue setting up your phone as a new device (do not restore from the iCloud backup).
  • Install WhatsApp and verify that push notifications are working correctly (have someone send you a few test messages while your phone's display is turned off).
  • Erase all content and settings and restore from the iCloud backup. "

I tried to delete everything from my iPhone and then restore my data with the backup on my computer but it did not change anything, I still can't receive any notification, unless I open the application... However, I restored immediatly my backup cause I was afraid it wouldn't work after, but I don't really think it would change something to first start as a new device and then erase all content again and restore it.

Aug 12, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Ok but eventually they said to restore from my first back up, so what would it change then?

You mean restore from the back up without Whatsapp then?

I forgot to say that I noticed that I can receive notifications when I've just closed the app (within 2-3 minutes) but after that, nothing anymore... Very strange.

I also tried to delete Whatsapp and download it from the App Store but didn't change anything.

Sep 6, 2014 2:36 PM in response to charlotte_1989

Good news, there's a solution!

But unfortunately it's necessary to restore the IPhone and don't backup it after this procedure.

I did and now Whats App is working properly, I'm happy because I 've been trying to solve this issue for 2 weeks.

The first time I did, I tested and it was OK, then I backup it from ITunes and the problem started again, then I repeated, and backup from ICloud and the same, once you backup the problem comes together...terrible...

But now I restored the IPhone and started using it as a new phone and it is working perfectly fine...it wasn't a big problem for me because I had all photos and videos saves at dropbox...but apps, and other stuff I lost it all...

Push notifications WhatsApp not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.