Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my hp scanner producing black pages?

My scanned pgs show a cleae onscreen scan, however, when saved, result in black pgs whith evenly spaced horizontal white lines throughout.

Since downloading Maverick I cannot scan (HP Photosmart B110 Series given by Apple when I purchased my iMac). ERROR MSG: "An error has occurred saving the file because it cld not be written to. Check the properties of the file to make sure it is not read only".

I experienced no problems prior to d/loading Maverick.

Any help wld be gladly rcvd. I cannot locate the printer driver/installation CDs.

thanks

iMac

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 6:14 PM

Have you tried using Image Capture, (in your Applications folder) to scan with ??

Launch Image Capture located in your Applications folder.

Connect the scanner to your Mac whether Wi-Fi or USB.

Click the very small black box bottom left side of the Image Capture window.

You'll see this pop up menu: Connecting this (device) opens:

You can select a default app to scan (Image Capture) and select a folder from the Import To pop up menu on the right to save scanned files to.

If you need help with the Image Capture software, click Help from the Image Capture menu bar.

Mac Basics: Using a scanner

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2014 6:14 PM in response to JoJo1950

Have you tried using Image Capture, (in your Applications folder) to scan with ??

Launch Image Capture located in your Applications folder.

Connect the scanner to your Mac whether Wi-Fi or USB.

Click the very small black box bottom left side of the Image Capture window.

You'll see this pop up menu: Connecting this (device) opens:

You can select a default app to scan (Image Capture) and select a folder from the Import To pop up menu on the right to save scanned files to.

If you need help with the Image Capture software, click Help from the Image Capture menu bar.

Mac Basics: Using a scanner

Apr 24, 2014 7:32 PM in response to JoJo1950

Thanks Carolyn,

Image Capture did work, however, did not solve my problem.

This application is much slower than my HP scanner (which is obviously not the problem since I can scan using the IC application). So it seems the problem is Maverick, as that was the only download lately.

Does Apple offer solutions/driver updates for such problems?

cheers

Apr 24, 2014 10:03 PM in response to JoJo1950

Might be corrupted printer preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the folllowing:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.PrinterProxy.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.print.PrinterProxy.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac as well as your printer.

If that doesn't help, delete all print jobs in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Print > Open Print Queue then try printing.

message edited by: CS

Mar 8, 2015 10:29 AM in response to JoJo1950

I have a problem with my Canon Lide 100 scanner and my Mac running 10.7.5. It happens intermittently. Any scans higher than 300 dpi will appear as solid black. It occurs whether I use Image Capture or Preview. Sometimes it goes away when I restart my machine. Sometimes, like today, it doesn't. It is clearly a software issue, as when I switched to my partner's mac (same model, running Yosemite), it worked fine. Not only that, but I saw the drop down menu allowed scans above 600dpi, which is the maximum I can use on mine when it works. Buggy drivers?

why is my hp scanner producing black pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.