Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1.1 update bluetooth in car won't turn off

After updating iOS to 7.1.1 on my 64 GB iPhone 5S, the bluetooth connection to my Volkswagen radio will not shut off when the phone is not in use. None of the radio buttons work, even the power button. The display simply states "Phone". Has anyone else experienced this with the new update? I have rebooted the phone, forgotten the VW device, and re-paired the phone with the radio, and see the same behavior. Once the phone is connected to the radio device, it won't let go and allow normal radio operation.

I assume that this is related to the bluetooth fixes in 7.1.1 update, but maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm. I do not have VoiceOver enabled. Also, maybe not related, but it looks to me like there is a pretty serious power drain after 7.1.1 update even when bluetooth is on but not connected compared to before the update. Will do more testing on that this weekend.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 7:46 AM

13 replies

Apr 27, 2014 8:41 AM in response to svq.01

Hello svq.01,

The following troubleshooting steps can help resolve many issues with Bluetooth connections. Note that your car's radio may need a firmware update.

1. Check that you are in range of the Bluetooth accessory with which you are trying to pair your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Most Bluetooth accessories have a range of approximately 30 feet.
  2. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Bluetooth and find your device in the list. If your device says Not Connected, tap the name of your accessory to attempt to connect it.
  3. Tap Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and then on again.
  4. Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is turned on and fully charged or connected to power.
  5. Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is in pairing mode.1
  6. Restart your iOS device.
  7. Tap Settings > Bluetooth and locate the Bluetooth accessory you are currently connected to or attempting to connect to. Then tap User uploaded file and Forget this Device. Try to pair your Bluetooth accessory again.

Note: You may need to re-enter your Bluetooth accessory PIN if your accessory requires one. Some common PINs are 0000, 1111, and 1234.

8. Restart your Bluetooth accessory by turning it off and then on again1.
  9. Update your device to the latest version of software. See how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  10. If your Bluetooth accessory has upgradable firmware, check to see that you have the latest version1, 2.

iOS: Troubleshooting Bluetooth connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4562

Cheers,

Allen

Apr 28, 2014 7:58 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem that svq.01 is having. After updating to ios 7.1.1 there is no way to make my blutooth work in the car. I've done the troubleshooting and still is not working. There is no firmware update on VW Premium VIII Stereo, so that won't help at all.

It is very sad to find out how the branch is lowering the quality of what used to be their premium products, into some kind of expensive devices full of bugs. I honestly don't like the other OS at all, but I guess Apple is giving us no more options.

Ivan

Apr 29, 2014 1:33 PM in response to MDweik

I seem to have solved this. I did the following:

While paired between iPhone and car radio -> forget device.

Turn off bluetooth on phone.

Turn off car power.

Reboot phone.

Turn on bluetooth

Turn on car power.

Re-pair devices.

Seems to have worked, as now my car radio is not bricked when the phone is connected, and I can use the in-car bluetooth system to place and receive calls. The key may have been to reboot the phone (in addition to the reboot after the iOS upgrade) while it was not paired with the vehicle bluetooth device so that settings were not persistent.

May 5, 2014 8:42 PM in response to svq.01

I am also having issues with my bluetooth since updating my 5S to ios 7.1.1 Problem is with 2010 Audi Q5 MMI. Initially after the update, when using bluetooth for phone calls, there was a loud distorted noise from the speakers (like the speakers were blown). There was no way to have a conversation due to the loud noise. The speakers without using bluetooth were normal. I disconnected the phone from the car & the car from the phone. Turned off the car. Took the phone out of range of the car. Restarted the phone. Returned to the car & discovered & paired them back. This stopped the loud speaker distortion but now my contacts will not sync. The car says it is downloading & importing contacts but they never import. I can only use the bluetooth if I dial directly from my phone itself. The car also does't recognize any music on iphone. I have rechecked all the settings on the phone & vehicle. I have tried plugging the phone into the iphone interface cable that came with the car. Still does not work but the cable charges the phone. However, my husband's 5S still works normally in my car. He hasn't installed the latest update. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

May 6, 2014 8:43 PM in response to svq.01

I have a similar issue, since I updated to 7.1.1. I have a 2013 accord exl with the built in Bluetooth radio. Never had an issue with the Bluetooth connection when playing music. Since I updated I have been having the issue where the phone shows it is connected to the car (the car shows the battery and signal strength of the phone) but will not play music from the iphone. I have to turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on. Sometimes I have to reboot the phone. Not sure what apple did with this update but i did not have this issue prior to update. Has anyone experienced this issue? I have a 64gig iphone 5.

May 7, 2014 8:39 AM in response to jdojao

I use bluetooth on iPhone 5s to communicate with a hearing aid remote. At first I had trouble with this because the phone was constantly overriding the remote and sending unwanted media messages. I found that to stop this I had to go into control center, find the device on lower right, click and select iPhone. After that it reads Airplay. I have to do this every time I switch the remote on and after briefly being out of range. Don't know if this helps anyone but I would like assurances from Apple that if and when I upgrade to 7.1.1 it's still going to work.

May 31, 2014 11:03 AM in response to svq.01

I have already reconnected the phone with the car. It does connect and I do see the signal strength and battery life display on my car. The issue is that 30 percent if the time the music will not play. I have to reboot my phone in order to get the music to play. The other annoyance I have with pandora is why do I always have to hit the allow button when the phone is already connected to the car. Why did apple do this. If your car Bluetooth is already synced why do you always have to hit the allow when you select pandora. Does not make sense.

Jun 30, 2014 6:42 PM in response to svq.01

svq.01 wrote:

I seem to have solved this. I did the following:

While paired between iPhone and car radio -> forget device.

Turn off bluetooth on phone.

Turn off car power.

Reboot phone.

Turn on bluetooth

Turn on car power.

Re-pair devices.

Seems to have worked, as now my car radio is not bricked when the phone is connected, and I can use the in-car bluetooth system to place and receive calls. The key may have been to reboot the phone (in addition to the reboot after the iOS upgrade) while it was not paired with the vehicle bluetooth device so that settings were not persistent.

I was having big issues trying to pair my iPhone 5s with my Ford Mondeo after upgrading from iOS 7.0.4 to 7.1.1. Nothing worked (and I'm very tech-savvy) until I found svq.01's post above....I followed his/her directions and managed to pair my phone within 30 seconds. Thanks!!!!

More info: Prior to finding svq.01's post, I'd rebooted my phone and turned off bluetooth several times in addition to turning off the car power and car bluetooth. For some reason, svq.01's procedure - done in order - worked a treat.

Jul 14, 2014 9:22 AM in response to svq.01

I had a sudden issue whereby my 5s would sync to my VW to make calls, but the audio (media) kept displaying "No Bluetooth Device is Connected." The phone showed that the device had synced to the car as well when I looked at Settings > Bluetooth. I went through all the gyrations of rebooting the phone, forget this device, re-finding the device, turning off the car audio and back on, etc. Nothing worked. Then, just to eliminate my phone as a source of the problem, I synced it to another Bluetooth speaker at home. It worked fine, therefore "confirming" that it was not my phone. When I went back to the car, turned on the ignition...voila! Everything paired just fine, audio, telephone, etc. I had done nothing but get my phone to sync to another device before returning to the car to try it again there.

Go figure.

iOS 7.1.1 update bluetooth in car won't turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.