Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Connect Samsung Galaxy s5 to Imac

HI,

I have a problem connecting samsung galaxy s5 phone to my 2011 imac, any suggestion?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 8:06 AM

16 replies

Apr 25, 2014 9:54 AM in response to LowLuster

im trying to put music in but I need to open folder so that I can use my "duplicate detective" to search for file duplications as I add my music, that way I dont have double music files. So far I always take out the memory card and using memory card reader in my comp but if I can do it just by connecting via USB that will be easier

Apr 25, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Sexatino

Although I don't own a Samsung GS5 I do own a HTC. To my knowledge all andriod device will show up as an external drive and or the Micro SD card will show as an external drive. You might have to change a setting on the phone for this. On my HTC I have the option to have it just charge the battery or charge and show as an external drive when I connect it to any computer USB port.

So do a check on the phone for this type of option/setting.

Once that option is enabled at least the M-SD card show show up in Finder.

Apr 26, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Chuckles84

That is not true. The SD card in any Android device is formatted FAT32 which OS X can read just fine.

I have connected my HTC android phone to my Mac many time and never had a problem reading from or writing to the micro SD card installed in it.

To the OP. Make sure the Mac is set to show external drives in a finder window and on the desktop. You do that in the Finmder preferences, General tab and Sidebar tab.

Chuckles84 wrote:

Mac OS X and Droid devices don't work with one another by default. They use different languages. Check with Samsung to see if they have a program, and if not, you may want to try finding a third party program.

May 27, 2014 7:41 AM in response to Sexatino

I see a lot of advice here based on other phones, but my experience with Samsung S-series + iMac via USB connection is that the Mac WILL NOT see the disks as a drive in Finder. There isn't USB Mass Storage support on the Samsung phones. I've talked to Samsung support about it, they will eventually admit it if pressed.

The ONLY way I can get my Mac to see my S5 is to use the KIES app on the Mac. Android File Transfer does not work for me. I've tried installing it several times, and it never finds the S5.

I find this really frustrating. Other Droid phones I've used mounted the drives as you would expect.

For me, the Samsung will not do this on a Mac.

After a quick search for KIES, I see Samsung is no longer supporting this for Mac. Very unfortunate.

I found a link to a copy that works on my iMac, but it's not from the official site:

http://www.softlate.com/kies?keyword=samsung+kies&affid=71603&rid=1122281_0

I found it listed here, where the USB Mass Storage problem is discussed:

http://www.teamandroid.com/2014/03/25/samsung-galaxy-s5-usb-drivers-download/

Jun 23, 2014 9:22 PM in response to Sexatino

I'm not sure where some people are getting their info from, but Samsung does, in fact, have a Mac-native version of Kies 3 (which is required for the S5) available. Go to http://www.samsung.com/us/kies and scroll down a little on the page. It is listed under the Windows versions and some graphics. This is what I use on my iMac to transfer files between it and my S5.

Jul 8, 2014 1:22 PM in response to brobbins

Agree with brobbins above - here's another way to get to Kies for Mac and PC:

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

Connect your GS5 to your Mac via USB3 cable & make sure phone screen is unlocked. Now launch Kies. Once your phone is detected, click to select your phone in the nav bar on the left. In the main window on the right, you'll see lots of information about your phone, including memory in use (both internal & SD card):

User uploaded file

If you click the little file folder icon as illustrated above, a new dialog box opens up. Us that like a Finder window & drag/drop files & folders between your Mac and the SD card:

User uploaded file

The reason that MTP "works" on the PC and lets you treat the SD card like a USB drive is that, in Windows, MTP support is built-in, and it just "works." Not so on the Mac. So until someone comes up with a utility or patch so that an MTP device can be mounted on the desktop of a Mac, you'll either a) have to use a VM and do your management on the "PC side" of your machine, or b) manually sync using drag/drop and Kies as described above.

Jul 17, 2014 5:28 PM in response to Sexatino

Just got a S5 and have spent DAYS messing around with it and when trying to figure out how to get iTunes music onto it I also could not get my Macbook Pro to find it in ANY USB setting! It showed up for like 3 minutes and then drops off altogether . Took one members advice and made a playlist for the "S5" and sat here reading this thread trying to figure it all out.

Then while messing around with device I just turned on Bluetooth and BAM it synced up and started transferring the playlist to the device -however it never gave me the option to select the SD card at all. Therefore, I just transferred 200 songs to the device itself but even 16 GB has a lot of room for all of them! Of course it took awhile but I actually got them all moved over and they play no problem on phone and also thru my truck which has BT too.

Just wanted to let you all know that when the USB issues come up you do in fact have the BT option to fall back on to transfer anything to the S5 off any Mac. ****; i even downloaded Kies, the Android Switch, another one from Samsung site and since the **** phone wouldn't show up on Macbook nothing could be done that way! Thank goodness for Bluetooth my fellow Mac users!

On the S5 - its a for sure good device! Has more features than my S3 ever did and runs super smooth and fast too! Everything except this USB issue AND the fact that it only has Chrome is good to go. I despise Chrome so downloaded Dolphin and use that as default browser now. Oh- and then i have the infamous duplicate contacts issue too which is driving me nuts trying to figure that one out!

At least the iTunes music got moved over which a few years ago was virtually impossible with ANY Android remember??

Semper Fi !

Fitz

USB Connect Samsung Galaxy s5 to Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.