Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu-ray on Maverick?

I use a Samsung Blu-ray compatible external ODD on my Macbook Pro with Mavericks OS X 10.9.2. Quick time will not read Blur-ray DVDs. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Samsung Blu-ray external ODD

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 10:11 AM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2014 11:42 AM in response to ramon edgar

I use a Samsung Blu-ray compatible external ODD on my Macbook Pro with Mavericks OS X 10.9.2. Quick time will not read Blur-ray DVDs. Any suggestions?

As QTKirk implied, you basically have three options:

1) Purchase a BD player app like MacBluRayPlayer, which can play the BD directly from the optical drive,

2) Rip/decrypt a backup disc/file to your HHD for playback using an app like VLC, or

3) Convert ripped/decrypted data to a format that can be played natively by QT X or QT 7 based players.

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2014 11:57 AM in response to ramon edgar

According to the kb, QT is supposed to play AVCHD content which is what Blu-ray format is.

Do a little more research. AVCHD is a file based format jointly developed by Sony and Panasonic. Introduced in 2006, this format is promarily used for high definition recording to consumer camcorders as an alternative HDV and XDCAM EX recording. Its use was later found acceptable for use with camcorders targeting the professional market in 2008. In 2011 the AVCHD specification was extended to include 1080p50/60 modes and stereoscopic video (AVCHD 3D). (See Wikipedia AVCHD article on the internet.)

BDs may contain high definition MPEG-2, VC-1, or MPEG-4 AVC in a transport stream file.

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2014 2:05 PM in response to ramon edgar

Huh?

Sorry if my point wasn't clear here. While the AVCHD structure is derived from the Blu-ray Disc specification, it is not identical to it. Further, as to "compatibility," if described in a the form of a venn diagram, AVCHD is compatible with Blu-ray but the reverse is not necessarily true nor does QT X understand menus nor is it able to play the content in an encrypted form. (E.g., QT X does not play commercial DVDs either even though it can play MPEG2/AC3 content in program or transport stream files like MPG, MPEG, TS, MTS, M2TS, etc. but not in MOV nor VOB file containers.)

User uploaded file

Apr 29, 2014 6:07 AM in response to cute brain

iDeer Blu-ray Player has version for Mac to play Blu-ray out. With these professional Blu-ray playback tools, watching Blu-ray will be much easier.

For those who don't already know, the Mac Blu-ray Player can be purchased under the MacGo (blue player interface), iDeer (blue player interface), Aurora (orange player interface), and any other names under which you may choose to purchase this softeware are all essentially just the free VLC player keyed to play Blu-ray discs directly without having to rip the content to your hard drive.

User uploaded file

Blu-ray on Maverick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.