Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mapping a network drive from Mac Mini Server to windows

I have a Mac mini server used as a file server and a user that access resources on the server. I am able to access the server shared resources from any Mac with no problem. However, when I map a shared folder residing on my Mac mini server to a windows machine, I can only access the shared folder as the local admin of the Mac mini server, but not as the network User created and given permission to access that folder. The maping is done from the windows machine: \\Server_IP_Address\mr_user.

Any hint to resolve this problem will be great:

Mac min server is running OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 (Both AFP and SMB are enabled)

Windows Maching is running Windows XP.

Server & Client are both on the same network

This only happened when I upgraded from Lion to Mavericks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Accessing a mapped Network Drive

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 11:37 AM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2014 3:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried what you said, but still didn't work. A teck from Apple enterprise support said that Windows XP would not connect to Mavericks - Of course I don't believe this, for I am able to map and connect a drive from Windows XP to any Mac mini server shared folder as the local admin of the Mac mini server. Had Windows XP not been able connect to Mavericks, then no network user would've been able to map a drive. Two things I will do: 1- I will test a mapping connection from Windows 7/8 to my OS X Server 2- I will install a fresh OS X Server installation. I am suspecting that the upgrade from Lion to mavericks I made has issues. Either way, I will post an update. - Thanks again.

May 9, 2014 1:03 PM in response to SilverSkyRat

@ SilverSkyRat: Permission were all correct, but no connection login as a network user. Thank you for your input

@ BDAqua: You are right. Thank you also

I received the this link from Apple regarding my connectivity issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4945?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

However, I found a simple solution to over come my problem: here is how I did it:

1- I created a Network user jsmith using Server App with password as "password"

2- Then went to System Preferences\Users & Groups\ and create a standard user account as jsmith with the same password as "password"

Then I was able to map my network drive that resides on the Mac mini server to a Windows XP machine. Both password of jsmith has to be the same in order for the mapping to take place.

This solution resolved my connectivity issue. However, there is one thing I do not like about it:

1- I have to make sure that when a user changes his/her network password, I have to change his/her password at the server...it is double the work

2- Everytime I create a Network User Account, I have to create the same account on the local server with the same password.

Thnak you All for your input

-AN

Mapping a network drive from Mac Mini Server to windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.