Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mail gets deleted and archived by itself..... how do i stop this. It is the mail app for sure

My apple mail keeps deleting my imap mail, ive lost years of mail because of it. it moves messages to archives for no reason and deletes them. How can i stop this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 11:45 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2014 1:56 PM in response to khalidzubair

Is this with one particular mail server or with all mail servers you're using?

What you're describing is typical of a mail server that's been configured to do this, but not something that OS X client does — moving messages and such does not happen, short of locally-added rules and scripts, or some other tool that's accessing your mail, or the server's own processing.

Apr 28, 2014 3:25 PM in response to khalidzubair

khalidzubair wrote:

It's only with my gmail accounts. All of them are IMAP. No filters no recent changes either. Had the same settings for years and nothing of the sort ever happened.

When troubleshooting, everything is suspect until verified, and effectively nothing can be assumed. (If I've had the same settings for twenty years and the behavior of the configuration changed, I'd still verify all the settings.) OS X doesn't know from an Archive folder, unless there's a rule added for it within Mail.app. GMail has an archive label, and can be configured to move via Gmail filters. If you're at your storage limit quota, GMail might well delete stuff, too.

My mail gets deleted and archived by itself..... how do i stop this. It is the mail app for sure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.