Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do not import duplicates not working

How can I import only new photos from memory card? the do not import duplicates checkmark does not work anymore.

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 3:58 PM

What is your Aperture 3 version? For me, with Aperture 3.5.1, the "do not import duplicates" is working well. But it requires, that you do not change the original image files in any way - batch change the filenames, etc. Have you written metadata to your originals or changed the dates?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2014 3:58 PM in response to brenda429

What is your Aperture 3 version? For me, with Aperture 3.5.1, the "do not import duplicates" is working well. But it requires, that you do not change the original image files in any way - batch change the filenames, etc. Have you written metadata to your originals or changed the dates?

Apr 25, 2014 8:19 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for your answer. No I have not written metadata on any of the new pictures on the memory card that I am trying to import . What Have done, is merged projects that have different dates in the library, adn grouped them by subjects, as opposed to dates. would that affect the import of the new photos?

Initially, actually until a couple of weeks ago ( i import photos almost every day) the import would only be of the new photos. Now, it imports all that is on the card. I have to deselect all and then pick just the latest.

I am not sure what made the change .

I reset the import settings to defaults, thinking I might have changed something inadvertently ( I am new at this), and now the checkmark for do not import duplicates cannot be checked ( for the past two weeks it could but it would still import all the duplicates)

The files in the library with date changes are mostly from the internet, art photos grouped by subject,, which are not on my memory card.

some of the ones on my memory card have been merged to other files of the same subject without me changing the metadata

Apr 25, 2014 10:26 PM in response to brenda429

I reset the import settings to defaults, thinking I might have changed something inadvertently ( I am new at this), and now the checkmark for do not import duplicates cannot be checked ( for the past two weeks it could but it would still import all the duplicates)

This looks like there may be a problem with broken user preferences in your user account.

Test, if you can set the "Do not import duplicates" flag, if you sign in as a different user. Enable another user account for testing in the "System Preferences > Users& Groups", e.g. the "Guest" account, if you do not have a test account. If the "Do not import Duplicates" is working well in this account, we'll know, that broken preferences files or other setings in your current account are probably causing this.

User uploaded file

Then try to remove your user preferences as described in this document : the Apple Aperture trouble-shooting page.

You user library may still be hidden, as is the default in Mavericks: To open your hidden user library:

• Select the "Home" folder icon (the little house) in the Finder's sidebar and press the key combination ⌘J to open the "view options".
  • Enable "Show Library Folder".
  • Then open the Home folder and open the Library folder inside and navigate to ~/Library/Preferences

User uploaded file

These files and folders need removing:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture

After removing the Preferences files it is essential to log off and on again, or to restart the computer, before you launch Aperture again. Otherwise it may not take effect.

-- Léonie

Apr 26, 2014 5:51 PM in response to léonie

HI Leoni,

Thanks so much for your response. I called tech support because I was afraid to do this by myself ( i am a novice at Aperture and I have a huge library that got deleted once already on a faulty laptop. As you advised, the Aperture tech guy had me erase the library/ preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist folder

I don't think he mentioned the Library containers files.

During this process I discovered that what I thought was backed up on the time machine external hard drive I bought, was actually not backed up because my entire library is on a smaller external hard drive that is constantly connected to the laptop. It turns out that because the photos were not on the computer itself, they were not getting backed up on time machine.

So he made me do a back up , which took a long time (24.000 photos) , and then I had to restart the computer and see if the import would be corrected and the do not import duplicates would function.

sadly, it did not. I have to contact him Monday because we ran out of time, but at least I have a back up now.

When I asked at the Apple store if my photos would automatically get backed up into time machine frrom my external hard drive , I was told that they would.

One thing this process corrected was the fact that now the memory card is detected and I get the prompt to eject it properly that had disappeared from Aperture along with the other issue.

The card would not be visible on the finder either, so there was no way to take it out except by just pulling it out, and then no message would appear that this was not the proper way to do it.

Thanks again for your help.

I was just too terrified to do something wrong and have it all disappear again.

Apr 27, 2014 3:22 PM in response to brenda429

During this process I discovered that what I thought was backed up on the time machine external hard drive I bought, was actually not backed up because my entire library is on a smaller external hard drive that is constantly connected to the laptop. It turns out that because the photos were not on the computer itself, they were not getting backed up on time machine.

To ensure, that your external drive will be backed up, open the System Prefereces > Time Machine, when your external drive is connected.

Click the "Options" button.

That will show you the list of drives, that are excluded from backup. Make sure, that your external drive is not listed there.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2014 3:50 PM in response to brenda429

Not everything, Brenda 😀, but thanks for the compliment. I have used Macs since 1984.

And computer science and image processing are my area of research.

Please let us know, if the Tech support will be able to help you with the "duplicate" problem on Monday.

I still think, that removing the copy of Aperture's Preferences in the Containers folder might be necessary as well.

Good Luck on Monday

Léonie

do not import duplicates not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.