Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery life improvement with iOS 7.1.1

IS there significant battery life improvement with iOS 7.1.1

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 9:18 PM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Deepak07

Just the opposite. My iPad mini (Retina) would typically discharge about 30% per day during my normal use, which is very consistent from day to day.

After installing the "Upgrade" it went from 100% to 10% in one day. I charged it overnight, and it would only charge to 90%. Later, I left it sleeping for 4 hours, and when I came back the battery had gone from 80% to 30% - with nothing (that I initiated) running.

There must be some background taske running automatically that are sucking the life out of the battery. I wish I could just revert to 7.1 - I have gained nothing and lost a lot with this update.

Regarding the "standard" advice of what to disable, I have always had Bluetooth and WIFI running all the time, with automatic updates for applications enabled.

Very disappointed in this.

Walt

May 1, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Deepak07

The claims are garbage. I can charge my phone to 100%, put it on Airplane mode, and go to sleep, after 8hrs of sleep it won't even turn on because the battery is dead. I can charge it completely again, and watch the battery percentage drop 1% nearly every minute ... I've reset the phone and restored, it seemed to be fine for a bit and then started doing it again ... I don't know what to do at this point ... resetting phones should not be a fix at all ... getting the ios right in the first place should be the fix ...

May 1, 2014 11:31 AM in response to SobeHall

If you restored the phone from a backup, that indicates there is something corrupt in your backup. If you are getting battery drainage when the phone is in Airplane mode, then there is a process stuck on the device. Try restoring the phone as new and see what happens. While I'm not saying that you are not having a problem, I use my phone a great deal during the day and in the course of about 14-16 hours use less than 30% battery. I have Bluetooth, wifi turned on, Locations services, a work Exchange push account and at work have terrible cellular signal. Try the restore as new. Just make sure you do a backup of all of your content first.

May 1, 2014 11:35 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I agree with you ... I use my phone all day long ... and prior to this update I was using the same batteyr life you mentioned above. Why, after the update, would my backup all of a sudden be corrupted? Why do I have to lose all of my settings I've spent months fiddling with to get the phone just right for me ... why? It makes absolutely no sense ... I haven't had a single problem with my 5S until this update ...

May 1, 2014 11:43 AM in response to SobeHall

If you have ever used a computer before, you know things can happen to software files. Trying to completely figure out why is not necessarily the point. The point is that it happened and you want to correct it. You have been provided the tools to do that. How you proceed is up to you. Did you update via iTunes or OTA? OTA updates can cause problems for some users. Issues occur during updates, and it isn't just iOS 7.1.1. Search and you will see people complain about battery life and a score of other issues with all of the updates.

May 1, 2014 11:56 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Update was done OTA, wifi, plugged into power source at home. I've already reset the phone now need to get home and restore with the icloud backup instead of itunes backup to see if that works. If there's an issue with the update installing OTA and there's no way to revert back in order to run the update again, then it seems to me like the phone would be permanently corrupted until the next update. Which most companies would say is bad for business. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also, I've updated my phones the same way since the Iphone 3G ... never had an issue like this ...

May 1, 2014 12:02 PM in response to SobeHall

Again, try the restore as new, not from the backup. See if it runs correctly without adding anything back first. If it does, then restore to the backup. If it errors again, then there is something wrong in the backup. Many people that have had issues with the OTA update just connect to iTunes and restore and that will fix it. OTA updates work, but sometimes they don't, just like updates from iTunes might not work all of the time. I know everyone strives for perfection, but sometime things happen. If they didn't, there wouldn't be any need for support! Good luck.

battery life improvement with iOS 7.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.