Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Airport Extreme extend a wifi signal from my existing modem router?

I am wanting to improve the wifi signal in other rooms of my house. I have a modem router Netgear CG3100. I have bought an Airport Extreme thinking I could extend the wi fi signal without the use of an ethernet cable. Can anyone assist?

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 10:15 PM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2014 11:13 PM in response to ADMillar

You cannot do it.. if you want to extend wireless you need the correct wireless repeater and either universal or specific Netgear for the job.

Apple routers cannot extend wireless from anything but other apple routers.

In your case either ethernet.. or EOP adapters to a new location where you use the AE as an AP and switch.

Or you buy a second (cheap second hand AE perhaps) apple router and extend wireless with it plugged into the Netgear.

In general I would not recommend using the router in a netgear cable router at all.. turn it off and use your AE direct.. who knows, it might reach your clients .. the netgear was a noted bomb in the wireless and routing stakes.. most people turn off both. Just use it as a dumb cable modem.

Can Airport Extreme extend a wifi signal from my existing modem router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.