Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing problems with HP LaserJet 6MP

Does anyone know if there is a way for my old HP Laserjet 6MP printer to work with my new IMac? It has a 8 pin serial connector and HP no longer offers support for this older printer. They have suggested I buy a HP JetDirect 500x J3265A but those are over $300. Surely there must be a less expensive solution. HP also suggested checking out Strydent Software but I couldn't find anything that seemed applicable.

I have a Keyspan USB to serial adapter and everything is hooked up. I found my printer on the IMac list but when I try to print it says "Unable to connect to IPP host: Unknown error 0" So I must be doing something wrong......

IMac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 24, 2006 10:09 AM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2006 11:17 AM in response to sashasdad1

Asante used to make a Mac serial to Ethernet device, AsanteTalk. If they're still available that may be an alternative. They used to sell for $99.00. I used one with an HP-4MP printer (which my daughter and son-in-law are still using.)

I think you may try what you are doing but do not use IPP printing because you have the printer connected to a USB port not an Ethernet port.

Aug 24, 2006 11:41 AM in response to Kappy

Asante used to make a Mac serial to Ethernet device,
AsanteTalk. If they're still available that may be
an alternative. They used to sell for $99.00. I
used one with an HP-4MP printer (which my daughter
and son-in-law are still using.)

I think you may try what you are doing but do not use
IPP printing because you have the printer connected
to a USB port not an Ethernet port.

Thanks for the info.

Another question.... if I hook the printer up through the Ethernet port can I still run DSL through it?

Also the printer browser forces me to choose either IPP, LPD or HP Jet Direct-Socket.

Printing problems with HP LaserJet 6MP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.