Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Recall

I just read an article about how more ibook batteries are being recalled:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-24- 2006/0004421452&EDATE=

Time for everyone to check their batteries again (I do not believe mine applies with HQ4527 =/...oh well). Its not on the apple website yet, but it should be soon.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 24, 2006 10:37 AM

149 replies

Aug 24, 2006 10:43 AM in response to Strimkind

Apple recalls 1.8 million laptop batteries
Sony-made power devices said to cause overheating risk for iBook and PowerBook G4s.
August 24 2006: 1:20 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Apple is recalling 1.8 million battery packs for its iBook and PowerBook notebook computers due to an overheating problem, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Thursday.

The iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 models are the two Apple products affected by the recall.

The cells in the lithium-ion batteries were produced by Sony, which also produced the batteries that forced Dell to recall 4.1 million notebooks earlier in August. (Full story)

Aug 24, 2006 11:07 AM in response to hiddenmuse

I am aware of this new recall because I just saw a story on CNN that mentioned the Sony battery recall in Apple laptops due to chance of fire-like in the recent Dell laptops. They did say the info was posted on the website, but the correspondant seemed a bit hesitant. Can't find official Apple info. I have noticed that my G4's battery area seemed much warmer the last couple times I've plugged it in when the charge was low. Much warmer than when I used to charge the G3. I've taken to charging it on the kitchen counter only when I'm home to keep an eye on it. Will feel better when we know more.

~margaret

Aug 24, 2006 11:13 AM in response to Strimkind

I just tried to register and though my battery serial number IS within the range listed (starts with 6C539), it keeps kicking it out as ineligible. The computer serial number validates just fine, but next to the battery serial it says "This serial number is invalid or does not qualify for the program."

I've triple checked it and re-entered four times. I just got my iBook in December, so it's definitely within the range. The phone line is flooded, so I suppose I'll just wait and hope they get it fixed.

Aug 24, 2006 1:55 PM in response to Mike Zaffuto

Ah, I'm in the same boat as well. My battery is in the 6C510- range (my battery begins with 6C537), and my iBook is listed as eligible, but my battery does not- it's clearly in the range for recall, but it still kicks it out as ineligible. I tried calling AppleCare, too, but the line for Battery Exchange must be flooded.

Help! What should I do, I wonder? Try it later?

Aug 24, 2006 2:21 PM in response to Ben Kreeger

Same here. 6C539.
Called Apple...no help. They said to keep trying the form.

Trying something over and over again with the hope of different results...sure sounds like insanity to me.

It's probably a coding error in the form. Since it's the same form from previous recalls, they might have mistyped it or forgotten one of the series. I'm always forgetting little things when changing code for another page or a redo.

As long as they get it right, I'm cool with it.

ibook G4 1.33 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Aug 24, 2006 2:24 PM in response to Kim Mcdaniel

The 'support' page for the most recent battery recall is rejecting one of my batteries, also.

It accepts my iBook as in-range, and accepts one of my iBook batteries (3K520*), but claims the other (ZZ427*) is either not a correct S/N or is not in range.

The CPSC and Apple sites bot list both batteries as being in range.

Calling Apple's support number gets a recording apologizing for not being able to help me at this time due to technical difficulties,and suggests I try the site again - later.

Puts me at a real quandary for my upcoming trip.

Tomas

Battery Recall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.