Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to compact iPhoto library

My iPhoto library that contains 64,000 photos has grown to over 800GB! 😮

I am beginning to think that this is not going to be sustainable & I am just an average Dad taking the usual family-photo-home-movie.

I had tried an experiment earlier. I created a brand new iPhoto library and its size is about 7 MB. Then I imported a ton (about 2 GB actually) of photos and home video (taken mostly with iPhone) into it. The size swelled to more than 2 GB. Then I went to delete EVERYTHING and emptied the iPhoto trash can & Mac OS X trash can. When I checked, the iPhoto library pretty much stayed at more than 2 GB although I have ZERO photo or video within the library. What's going on here?

Is there a way to compact / compress / purge / etc the iPhoto library? Please help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR3

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 4:49 AM

No there is no way to compress or purge the iPhoto Library.

You can easily move a Library to an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

That said, this:

Then I imported a ton (about 2 GB actually) of photos and home video (taken mostly with iPhone) into it. The size swelled to more than 2 GB. Then I went to delete EVERYTHING and emptied the iPhoto trash can & Mac OS X trash can. When I checked, the iPhoto library pretty much stayed at more than 2 GB although I have ZERO photo or video within the library.

shouldn't happen. But it can happen if you delete large amounts of data at one go. The delete fails to clean up properly.

What version of iPhoto?

Where is the Library Stored?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2014 4:49 AM in response to PegFalcon

No there is no way to compress or purge the iPhoto Library.

You can easily move a Library to an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

That said, this:

Then I imported a ton (about 2 GB actually) of photos and home video (taken mostly with iPhone) into it. The size swelled to more than 2 GB. Then I went to delete EVERYTHING and emptied the iPhoto trash can & Mac OS X trash can. When I checked, the iPhoto library pretty much stayed at more than 2 GB although I have ZERO photo or video within the library.

shouldn't happen. But it can happen if you delete large amounts of data at one go. The delete fails to clean up properly.

What version of iPhoto?

Where is the Library Stored?

Apr 26, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

Really, I am surprised to hear this.

I mean it is sad that I would have to live with the fact that my iPhoto library will continue to swell to ridiculuous size and the only way to solve this is to move the iPhoto library to an external harddisk (maybe 2 TB and larger). I don't really think that my photo and video assets would add to 800GB. (My other backup stash of these assets imported into Windows definitely did not add up to 800 GB.), so iPhoto must have done some ridiculous stuff behind the scene.

By the way, I am using iPhoto '11 (version 9.5.1) and the iPhoto library is stored on my iMac's second SATA harddisk (2 TB).

Now, everytime I start up my iPhoto, it takes forever to load and any changes would grind my iMac to an unbearable speed. I guess I would have to think hard of other ways to get on top of this situation.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Apr 26, 2014 6:16 AM in response to PegFalcon

I'm not sure why that would surprise you, tbh, as it would make no sense to not work as efficiently as possible. But a non-destrucutive workflow does use disk space, no matter what app you use.

That said, 800 gigs for 64k items does seem somewhat large, but you do mention that you're storing video there too.

Try this:

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a Folder called 'Masters' or 'Original'. How big is that?

Repeat the same for the Previews Folder.

Are there any other very large folders in there?

Make no changes. Just check the sizes.

Aug 17, 2014 10:36 AM in response to PegFalcon

PegFalcon wrote:

My iPhoto library that contains 64,000 photos has grown to over 800GB! 😮

Is there a way to compact / compress / purge / etc the iPhoto library? Please help.

64,000 photos would take up 800 GB if each photo required ~ 12 MB.

Fairly low resolution movies can require about 1 GB for ~ 10 min, more for higher resolution. So an hour of video can easily take up 5-10 GB. How many videos do you have?

My daughter is a photographer and she uses iPhoto and Adobe Lightroom. She uses iPhoto as a sort of archive for all her original shots. She shoots in RAW format, which means each photo is ~ 25 MB, hence the iPhoto Libraries grow very large quickly. She can take 500 photos easily in a "shoot," say, at a wedding. To keep the iPhoto Libraries relatively small, she creates a new iPhoto Library when the current one reaches 50-100 GB in size. Switching between libraries is easy. It's important to back everything up that is of value. I am constantly buying 2 TB external USB 3 portable drives for her, which she uses with a Macbook Air.

You can split your 800 GB library into multiple ones by obtaining iPhoto Library Manager and using it to move portions of your big library into smaller ones. Defining the smaller libraries by date is one approach. iPhoto Library Manager does not change the original library, it simply creates new ones and moves the items you tell it to move into the new library/libraries. So you can keep or back up the original big library and archive it, for safekeeping, and then switch to using the smaller, more manageable libraries, going forward.

Aug 17, 2014 10:41 AM in response to PegFalcon

hen I went to delete EVERYTHING and emptied the iPhoto trash can & Mac OS X trash can. When I checked, the iPhoto library pretty much stayed at more than 2 GB although I have ZERO photo or video within the library. What's going on here?

What was left in the library were many files needed by the library to operated. Since you deleted all photos from the library you should have just delete the library itself and started over with a new one. That new library would have started out at 7.5 MB in size.

Aug 17, 2014 10:48 AM in response to PegFalcon

My iPhoto library that contains 64,000 photos has grown to over 800GB!

I am beginning to think that this is not going to be sustainable & I am just an average Dad taking the usual family-photo-home-movie.

An iPhoto library can hold up to 1000000 photos. The number of photos is no problem. Just keep your library on a drive with enough disk space. And consider to weed out the library and delete bad or mediocre photos. But don't split the library. Having to switch between libraries makes it difficult to search for specific photos, because you can only search one library at a time. You will lose much of the power of iPhoto, if you split your library.

How to compact iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.