Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to iOS 7.1.1 I have lost sound from the speakers. I have sound with ear buds. Tried resetting, changing switch from controlling rotate or mute to no avail. I gave hard booted the ipad too.

Upgraded to iOS 7.1.1. I no longer have sound from speakers. I do have sound if I use ear buds. I gave tried resetting the iPad, rebooting it and have checked that the side switch is not set to mute my sound. I have removed the app I thought caused the issue and still no sound. Is there a fix for this?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 6:07 AM

14 replies

Apr 26, 2014 6:18 AM in response to Antoined1

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.) http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Check your settings. The iPads have a small switch on the right edge. It can be used as a rotation lock to keep the screen from automatically reorienting itself as you move around, but you need to have the tablet’s settings configured properly. That same switch, right above the volume buttons, can also be set to function instead as a mute button to silence certain types of audio.

If the switch is set to work as a mute button, you can change its purpose to “screen-rotation lock” by tapping the Settings icon on the home screen. On the Settings screen, tap General on the left side, and on the right side of the screen flick down to “Use Side Switch to.” Tap to select Lock Rotation or Mute to set the button’s function. Even if you set the side switch for your preferred use, you can still mute the Mini or lock the screen. Just double-click the Home button, and when the panel of apps appears along the bottom edge of the screen, flick the row from left to right with your finger. Tap the icon on the far left side of the row to either lock the iPad’s screen or mute the iPad’s alerts, notifications and sound effects. Music, podcasts and video are not muted unless you turn the volume all the way down.

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

iPhone: Can’t hear through the receiver or speakers

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1630

http://www.atreks.com/app-no-sound-on-ipad-4-%E2%80%93-what-to-do/

To solve some sound problems, just follow these simple steps

1. Go to Settings

2. Tap on General

3. Tap on Reset

4. Tap on Reset All Settings

What this effectively does is to reset some of your Settings to factory default. It’s not a complete removal of settings. It removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy. It doesn’t affect your data. All of your email accounts will remain intact, as well as any SMS text or iMessages.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 30, 2014 7:59 PM in response to Antoined1

I'm having the same problem. After updating to iOS 7.1.1 the sound only works though the headphones. I reset through the home/sleep button and reset all settings. It's not the slider button or control center settings (I no longer have the option to change the volume in the control center). I've done this while it's been plugged into the wall. Nothing has worked. Has anybody found any workable solution?

May 1, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Antoined1

I also have lost all volume options and have no sound. I have attempted and soft and hard reset. I wiped the ipad back to factry settings and still no volume. Not even an option to increase or decrease the volume. Very upset with this update and sadly im not suprised with how apple has been coming out updates that are nowhere near the same calaber as when Steve was still calling the shots 😟

May 2, 2014 12:07 PM in response to Antoined1

Same Problem here. Since updating to IOS 7.1.1 I have the following probles with my iPad3:

No sound

Battery discharges faster

Home button stopped working so had to switch to virtual button

Fixes tried:

Reset

Restore via iTunes that re-installed the ios 7.1.1 software

Restored from back-up

Synced to recover everything else

Long process and it didn't fix anything

What a dope I was to update before reading all the horror stories.

However, no problems before or after update with my iPhone 5S (lucky there i guess)

Any chance the home button problems are related to the "fix" to the fingerprint recognition in later iPads?

May 9, 2014 3:32 AM in response to Antoined1

I have the same problem, only really noticed this in the last few days as I usually use my earbuds and Siri to call people / receive calls.

I tried resetting as per apples suggestion with no success. I'm thinking apple has messed up and isn't taking responsibility!! Same old, same old with large corporations.

I much prefer iPhone to any android phone I've had, as they are generally much better, but this is a big disappointment apple!!!

May 10, 2014 9:00 AM in response to Antoined1

I am also facing the same issue after updating my iphone 4s to ios 7.1.1. As i know that this is a software glitch I am just waiting for another patch/update from Apple. But from last couple of days i am able to hear the sound intermittently and it goes off too suddenly. I am not sure if anybody else is encountering the same .Just hoping this get resolve soon .

May 18, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Antoined1

Guys... you won't believe me. but I have experienced what I'm about to tell you now. I faced the same issue like you guys. I updated my iphone 4s into iOS 7.1.1 two days ago. But after the update my speaker didn't work for any notification sounds and etc. except my ringtone. So I searched the whole web for a solution and I just restored my phone almost 20 times. You may imagine how frustrated I was. But I found a tutorial. It said all we gotta do is to clean the 30 pin sync (charging) port. So I did. That was the last thing I could do. Here's how it said me to clean the port. Get a brush with soft synthetic fibre hairs. Dip the hairs in rubbing alcohol a little. Then clean the charging port's inside with it. I just did it.. aaaaaaaannd here it is. My iPhone's sounds are back again! At first i thought the tutorial's gonna fool me, but somehow i did it and it worked. But still I get my phone back in the same situation, then I do the same what I did before. Cleaning the charging port. You also try it. But remember, don't ever use a large amount of alcohol to clean the port. I hold no responsibility for the damages that would occur in the attempt to do this procedure by your fault. I just said what II experienced.🙂😠

Jun 12, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Antoined1

At first I thought cleaning the charging port was pointless, however on closer inspection one of the pins in the port was bent. I bent it back again carefully and cleaned out the dirt. Unfortunately it has not fixed my sound problem but it has changed it - previously it did nothing but now it flits between mute and no-bars.

This implies to me that the 7.1.1 update has changed it's protocols and now can't cope if there is incorrect voltage/data/signal in the port.

Jul 11, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Antoined1

The suggestion to clean the 30-pin connector intrigued me. I have not been able to get volume to work through iPad speakers when using the music ap since the update. I had not alcohol handy, so I simply blew into the 30-pin connector several times as hard as I could. After this the volume slider control reappeared when I opened control center from the bottom of the screen. It had disappeared after the update. I pull up the the music ap and play a song. Eureka, the sound works fine through the speakers. Sounds great. But.... after playing a 30-45 seconds, the music pauses. I hit play, sounds great. Then it pauses. I can to get a whole song to play through without a 2-3 pauses. Frustrating. I tried the reboot ideas first. They did nothing. But the 30-pin connector area does seem to be where the problem/solution is. I still have the volume slider working on control center. I just can't make it through a song without the controls pausing the song. Argghhhh....

Since upgrading to iOS 7.1.1 I have lost sound from the speakers. I have sound with ear buds. Tried resetting, changing switch from controlling rotate or mute to no avail. I gave hard booted the ipad too.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.