Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TRIM Support on a SSD in a USB 3 Enclosure

Hi, I have a late 2012 iMac, with a 1TB internal HDD. I would like an SSD but due to the design of the iMac I do not want to void the warranty by opening it up. I was thinking about using a Samsung 840 Pro in a USB 3.0 Enclosure (Speeds up to 450 mbs). My only worry about this is the TRIM support and how this could damage the drive such as it failing after a short period of time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Liam.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 8:50 AM

A SSD in any type of external enclosure is basically wasting the speed of the SSD. The best thing to do is put it in a Thunderbolt enclosure but even then TB is much slower than the internal SATA connections.

Most all new SSDs now have Garbage collection. Although not as good as using both TRIM along with the built in G collection it is better than nothing.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2014 8:50 AM in response to Liam_apple98

A SSD in any type of external enclosure is basically wasting the speed of the SSD. The best thing to do is put it in a Thunderbolt enclosure but even then TB is much slower than the internal SATA connections.

Most all new SSDs now have Garbage collection. Although not as good as using both TRIM along with the built in G collection it is better than nothing.

Apr 26, 2014 9:19 AM in response to LowLuster

Thanks for the advice, I was origionally going to go down the thuderbolt route, but they are too expensive for what i'm looking for! Either way speed wise it will still be much much better than my current HDD.

Also if I did go ahead with my origional plan without using TRIM will the SSD still perform well over several years of use? What quite is 'Garbage Collection' and what does it do?

Thanks again for your help on this matter!

Apr 26, 2014 10:01 AM in response to LowLuster

My current HDD has read writes of about 60 mbs. With an SSD in a USB 3 enclosure I can get speeds of about 450mps. I just want to make sure that by doing this and not using TRIM, it will not harm the SSD in any way. Will the SSD's own 'Garbage Collection' ensure that the drive stays in top performance and does not decrease over time?

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2014 10:21 AM in response to Liam_apple98

That 450mbs is Mega bits a second. bits verses Bytes, 8 bits to a Byte. So divid that 450 by 8 = 56.25. And that is not Real World Speed. The fastest I have ever had any USB 2 drive is somewhere aroung 35MBs (That's Mega Bytes. Small b = bits, Cap B = Bytes)

Your internal drive is running at 65 Mega BYTES (MB) a second.

Yes USB 3 will be faster than that 450Mbs.

Apr 26, 2014 2:23 PM in response to LowLuster

Not correct. An SSD in a USB3 enclosure running a 1052 or greater chip will provide speeds very close to internal speeds. I have both running. My Samsung in an external USB enclosure runs ~400 MB/s and inside runs 420. Cannot complain. I run with trim on for both internal and external SSD's and no issues although not sure it is really required.

Apr 26, 2014 4:31 PM in response to Liam_apple98

What ever drive you boot from you can have trim enabled. I downloaded trim enabler (freeware) and it works fine. Just be sure it is loaded on your external drive. If you want a small fast enclosure look at OYEN Digital Minipro enclosure. It comes in various configurations. Mine has USB3 and FW800 port. It is USB powered (also comes with power supply). It has the latest USB3 chip making it very fast. I also use a dock made by Utechsmart that slso is just as fast if you want one that is a quick change design. I use both a Samsung 500GB EVO SSD and OCZ 512GB SSD. Both have worked very well. Note that a smaller SSD may have slower R/W speeds. Note that USB3 enclosures are not all the same. If it does not have the latest onboard chip it will not provide the fast speeds associated with SSD's. I believe the latest chip is a 1053xx something.

Jan 18, 2015 12:59 AM in response to LowLuster

I have to differ with this statement. I have an external 250Gig SSD drive in a USB3 enclosure as a start up disc on my 2013 27" iMac running Mavericks.

Doing a Disk Speed Test the SSD is returning 220MB/s write and 250MB/s read speed. The internal Mac HDD is running at 74MB/s read and 87MB/s write.

The start up time has reduced from 90sec to 32sec. I have found this to be a very worthwhile exercise. Unfortunately Trim does not appear to be working on the external SSD.

Jan 20, 2016 8:57 AM in response to LowLuster

Hello,

You are correct and incorrect. At the time you wrote the solution, the statement s were valid. There is something called UASP (Specific to USB 3.0 and higher) that has been around since 2011/2012. It was only in the latter part of 2015 that you began to see it incorporated in all sorts of USB enclosures and devices. It's even in a cheap $11 case I bought at a retail shop.

UASP is Universal Attached SCSI Protocol. It allows for better management of data transfer over USB for devices with frequent constant I/O. Some people may think I am referring to attaching a SCSI device to a USB. Not quite. SCSI is parallel and ancient but it had a superior method of handling data reads and writes with queue depth storage. It takes USB and adds SCSI protocol on top of it giving your USB device access to SCSI commands on the controller thus increasing performance, latency, throughput, while reducing CPU overhead.

Can your USB truly get 5Gbps ? Well, the answer is pretty much "With UASP it's common to see 4.8Gbps. In some situations you can event get 4.999999Gbps. In rare cases it can even surpass 5.0+ Gbps giving you near SATA 6 speeds". I thought it was tripe until I saw it with my own eyes. There are drawbacks with any technology. Technically TRIM is possible now because you can send those commands through to the device. I've been unable to get it to work but that is an OS issue.

Mac OS X 10.8 added this feature in the IOUSBMassStorage extension. Windows 8.1 and higher have it. Linux just added it.

The only question I can't answer is UASP with USB RAID devices. I hear mixed answers about this combination. So far the answer is, "They don't exist". Yet I have seen it advertised recently. I haven't been able to confirm if its true or false advertising. That's only with the any combination of USB 3.0 w/RAID or w/eSATA+RAID.

TRIM Support on a SSD in a USB 3 Enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.