Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MTS files not downloading to iPhoto or iMovie

I previously was happily downloading all my movies from my Sony Handycam to iPhoto - just plugged the camera into the computer and they would automatically download - for some reason now iPhoto says the files are not recognisable - they are in the format .MTS - they used to work now they dont??? I have saved all the movies on the desktop but cant play them?? Can anyone help???

iMac

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 9:01 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2014 9:29 AM in response to LarryHN

OS is version 10.7.5 and iPhoto 9.4.3 - the only thing i can think of is that something went wrong with my Handycam so i sent it back to Sony for repair about 18 months ago - it came back and worked fine but that may have been the time that the Mac stopped being able to download the movies - i have taken the Handycam into both the camera shop and Apple and no-one has been able to help me so i have all these home Movies from the last 18 months the kids cant watch!!!

Apr 26, 2014 10:08 AM in response to SY69

That file is an ACVHD video file. See this Apple document regarding iPhoto and those files:

OS X Mountain Lion: About AVCHD files and QuickTime Player..

That format is designed for users who plan to do a lot of video editing on them. If you don't intend on that extensive editing change the format in the camera setting to the other, standard format.

You can open the current files with VLC media player and export it out as a compatible format.

OT

MTS files not downloading to iPhoto or iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.