Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hot Computer?

I have made a bad mistake and LOST responses from a few days ago. May I have a second chance? I now have software to measure the heat, but what is considered normal for a MacBook and what should I do if it is running too hot, without having to go to an Apple Store? Thank you in advance.

*The application called "Temperature Monitor" checks nine locations. At this moment, the MacBook is only warm, and one location, as an example, called Main Heatsink 1 is showing 55 degrees C. Most of the others are in the fifties, and Wireless Module says 66 C.

Many thanks again--

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 6:14 PM

11 replies

Apr 27, 2014 8:11 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Many thanks...I've never been altogether certain what ventilation for a laptop is supposed to be. Whenever it is turned on, it is never in any enclosure, furniture or otherwise. Unless it is sitting on my lap--and I am bony and lean and the farthest thing from chubby--it is on a counter or table with nothing under it or near it on on top of it.

At this moment, the wireless module is 52 C., but other points are in the forties and thirties. On the bottom surface, only the slightest bit warm. But at times, almost too hot to touch, as the saying goes, and that's what worries me.

Apr 27, 2014 1:47 PM in response to martin Fass

A portable computer is considered inappropriately to be a laptop.

If you choose to rest a portable computer on your lap, or on a

soft surface that traps heat and limits airflow underneath it,

you should consider the idea to buy & use a laptop tray or an

other device that is a hard surfaced product to keep the Mac

off your lap directly. It need not have tiny fans inside (those

would run from the USB port, & deplete battery reserves) but

if you do need one with fans, don't leave the USB plugged in.

I use my portables on a desktop. At some second hand store

a lucky find for $3 was a custom retail stand made to hold the

entire portable Apple computer in the air about six inches. As

a desktop-replacement (in its location only) that works out

well when not moving the computer and saves on hinge wear

or display cable concerns. It can sit like that for months, and

usually use a wired Apple USB keyboard/mouse with it, there.

I also have access powered Hub accessories, plus wi-fi, etc.

So the heat issue(s) can be resolved to some extent as noted.

In the olden days, a slab of asbestos would be recommended 🙂

Apr 27, 2014 2:55 PM in response to K Shaffer

All the way from Alaska to me, thank you. Though leaving me with the problem of how to interact with this MacBook, because half the time I do use it on my lap. It is warmer in Rochester (at last) this afternoon, and so is the computer. Latest readings:

2014-04-27 17:42:11 -0400

Battery: 36℃

Battery Charger Proximity: 54℃

CPU A Proximity: 62℃

CPU A Temperature Diode: 66℃

Main Heatsink 1: 60℃

Main Heatsink 2: 60℃

Northbridge Position 1: 58℃

SMART Disk FUJITSU MHY2120BH (K439T7A29L9L): 44℃

Wireless Module: 71℃

In deciding how to cope with the situation, are there downsides to having it run hot, other than being less than welcome on my lap at such times?

Apr 27, 2014 5:39 PM in response to martin Fass

Although I wonder about the accuracy of the temperature reported

in my MacBook1.1 (coreduo) 1.83GHz w/ 2048MB RAM, 160GB HD

Leopard 10.5.8 in iStat Pro widget suggests 259 °F (or close) for both

cores of the processor. I have to assume the temps are off due to

some issue, perhaps the problem with mine may be related to a need

to have the thermal paste cleared off the cooling conduits & renewed.

In mine, it can report unlikely temperatures, at times, below 0°F, too!

So, the MacBook1.1 13-inch may someday find itself en route to see

wegenermedia in SC as had they offered me the best fix on an iBook,

cost + svc. I think they have a better business model than I see in AK.

Now I've found iTunes Radio 10.6.3 (in OS X Leopard) is working again

I may have to let my computers run that, too, as it will rise temps, esp

if the Visualizer is also running. In my G4 Mini, w/1024MB RAM, it will.

Not sure about how to deal with the overheat possibilities in yours.

To use a physical method in warmer ambient temps, you may get

frost bite. You know, those blue slabs for camp coolers? Frozen/ice.

Maybe if you talk nice to it, the device won't run such a temper? 🙂

Apr 27, 2014 5:50 PM in response to martin Fass

Hey Martin -

I think you have the MacBook that's just a touch newer than mine (mine has the 2.0 GHz Core2Duo, rather than the 2.2). It has nearly always run toasty, especially if I'm streaming videos. The graphics chipset in these machines has to work hard to stream content these days, and that generates a bunch of heat.

It's been like this for the better part of 6+ years I've had it, too, and it still runs like a champ. The fan noise is a bit annoying, and the heat isn't always welcome, though!

Can't do much about the fan noise, but I ended up buying a portable lapdesk to help keep myself a little cooler when using the laptop (and to help it be able to ventilate a bit better when it's on my lap).

I purchased this lapdesk by Logitech. Just the right size and not too heavy so bringing it with me when I go to my parents' place isn't too inconvenient!

Hope that tidbit is helpful 🙂

~Lyssa

Apr 27, 2014 7:21 PM in response to Lyssa

Thanks to K in Kenai, which we were taken by NYC/AK friends to visit in the late summer of 2001...and to Lyssa, many thanks, I have just looked up the lapdesk and no doubt I'll buy one or even two (my spouse has been using a foam back rest to keep the heat off her lap) before this late evening is over. This MacBook is doing well enough that I do not consider buying something new. Yet, even as I write this, and as a Macintosh user from the very beginning, I realize that this one has been running far longer than any of the others! My guess is that it has been seven years, maybe even more!

Thanks again.

Apr 27, 2014 7:58 PM in response to martin Fass

Martin -

I have an iBook G4 hanging around that's going to celebrate its 10th birthday this year. It serves one purpose - it's my DDR computer - and that's its only job. But it's still running about as well as it did when I got it (though it certainly seems slow compared to some of the stuff I used for work!).

If your MacBook still suits your needs, by all means keep on using it! And that lapdesk should last a long while, too 🙂. I found that I don't even notice the heat anymore, even on a very warm summer day!

~Lyssa

Hot Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.