Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice mail from a number I've blocked

Why am I still getting voice mail from a number I've blocked ? I know I can choose not to listen to the voice mail but every time a message is left I get notifications . This is one of the reasons I blocked this person in the first place as my phone was constantly beeping with txts and now it's just constantly beeping with voice mail notifications . And also it seems that this person can just phone me anyway by hiding their caller ID an option apple kindly gave them on their i phone ! Can anyone help with this problem ?

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 8:48 AM

I think the point is, and it is certainly proven true on my iPhone 6+ -- I have blocked a nuisance caller and they have left me 70+ voicemail messages filling my mailbox at AT&T. They did not block their number. Each message in the BLOCKED MESSAGES list indicates the caller's ID.

Who in their right mind would think that I would even want a message from some number that I blocked? Furthermore, I don't give a rats *** if they know I have blocked them or not. I'd love to have a pre-programmed message for blocked callers that says quite simply, "**** off!"

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 8:48 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I think the point is, and it is certainly proven true on my iPhone 6+ -- I have blocked a nuisance caller and they have left me 70+ voicemail messages filling my mailbox at AT&T. They did not block their number. Each message in the BLOCKED MESSAGES list indicates the caller's ID.

Who in their right mind would think that I would even want a message from some number that I blocked? Furthermore, I don't give a rats *** if they know I have blocked them or not. I'd love to have a pre-programmed message for blocked callers that says quite simply, "**** off!"

Apr 28, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Dalts27

This is infuriating. I blocked my iPhone from a harrassing individual and then Apple/ATT gives him FULL CONTROL over my voicemail. He calls as many times as needed and rambles until my voicemail is 100% filled up. I cannot receive msgs from my business contacts, family or friends. My only option is to change numbers at great expense and trouble to me.

I understand that there is an Android app called Mr Number that would block people FOR FREE from accessing my voicemail but Apple will not allow that app in the iTunes store. This issue is enough for me to jump ship from Apple and ATT. How is it that Apple/ATT will allow a harrasser to literally take control of my phone!?

Feb 16, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Dalts27

I have the same problem and complaint. As a former Android user I am completely unhappy with the way in which iPhones handle callers who you have chosen to block. On my previous phone, a galaxy, once a caller was added to the call reject list that caller was unable to contact you. In fact when they called the phone either rang once on their end and then stopped or did not ring at all and was simply silent (to the caller it sounded as if the phone was waiting for you to continue dialing). For all of those insisting it has something to do with carrier settings I can assure you that it does not as I have the same carrier as I did with my galaxy and the phones themselves process call rejection quite differently which is essentially the problem. With my galaxy once a number was added to the call reject list they could never actually contact me again, no voicemails and no missed called notifications. SIMPLY PUT, IF I BLOCK A CALLER I WANT THAT CALLER BLOCKED AND REJECTED AT EVERY TURN!

Mar 21, 2017 12:49 PM in response to Lee Whitmore

Lee Whitmore wrote:

The number doesn't come up on missed calls, so you have to play the message to get to the number!

"The number doesn't come up on missed calls" - true, because you blocked the number.

"... so you have to play the message to get the number" Really? Isn't the voicemail labelled with the number? Can't you just see the number without playing the message?

Jul 14, 2017 7:52 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Dude - you're getting this all wrong. When you block a phone number within the iPhone itself - like you went into their contact and clicked "block caller" - then you won't receive text messages, FaceTime calls, or voice calls. All regular calls will be automatically redirected to VM. This is not a bug, it's how it's supposed to work. If you want to permantly block a caller from contacting you, you'll need to contact your carrier.

Aug 26, 2017 4:32 AM in response to Dalts27

I've just registered, fingers crossed! Below is an extract from a web page from my carrier (Vodafone) on the same subject. Registration took 5 seconds.

You can register your mobile phone number with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)

by texting your email address to 85095 for free. They’ll reply by text to confirm your registration.

Some Android devices may say that you’ve been charged for the text. This isn’t the case.

Apr 26, 2014 7:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for your reply got a friend to try it out as well by blocking her number and getting her to phone and leave a message and hers came through as well . She also showed me on her i phone how you hide your Caller ID it's actually a facility on the phone it's in settings you go into phone and it says show or hide your caller ID . She did this while I had her number blocked and was then able to call my phone . The fact that it is on the i phone settings would make you think that it's a facility built into the phone. She has a different provider to me but I found this facility on my phone as well.

Apr 26, 2014 7:36 PM in response to Dalts27

Agreed it is the settings, only on GSM phones, but the carrier is how that is set up, not unique to Apple iPhones. You can take a look at this support document regarding call blocking. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5845

It states you should not receive messages. Have you powered the phone off/on since setting this block? Try and see if that helps. If not, then try a reset. This will not affect your data at all. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone should reboot.

Apr 26, 2014 7:44 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for both the above replies will try resetting my phone and hope that works . Yes it seems I was getting confused because the hide ID option was on the phone, obviously not the fault of Apple but still annoying that you block someone from your phone and they can just overcome this by hiding their number ! Apple seriously need to try and come up with something to enable us to block blocked numbers . Thanks again for your help

Voice mail from a number I've blocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.