Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has been deleted

Hi,

I have an older Macbook and pulled it out to use it and the Safari icon had a quesiton mark on it. I did not delete Safari at all, so don't know why this has occured.

The icon is not in my applications folder either.

I do not have a Safari installation disc so I do not know how to reinstall Safari without having to repay for it - which I don't want to do.

All I have is Opera as a brower atm.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 10:28 PM

13 replies

Apr 27, 2014 3:52 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks for the reply Seventy One and AndyBall_uk,

I did what you both said and when I try to open Safari, it crashes and I get the following problem report:

'Safari quit unexpectedly. Click reopen to open the application again. This report will be sent to Apple automatically'

I have restarted my computer about 3 times, shut it down and left it overnight.

There are no further software updates.

Jun 27, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Saxman

Many installers, including combo updates, don't overwrite later versions. You could reinstall from a DVD, then use the combo & avoid Safari updates.

If there's still a download link for Safari 5.1.7 for Mac somewhere, it may be possible to force the install of that using Pacifist, hoping that it works with previous updates (never tried it); or you may get some use from the 5.0.5 Snow Leopard version of https://michelf.ca/projects/multi-safari/

In any case, it's not a great idea for security... remind me what your problems with 5.1.10 are ?

Jun 27, 2014 10:00 AM in response to andyBall_uk

The web kit content was constantly blowing up in RAM usage, then rebooting itself constantly, too often just as I was in the middle of writing a comment or post, and was driving me crazy. Also, I hated the "autofill" that was no longer automatic, but involved more steps than ever before. Maybe a few other things, but I've simply not been using it, as it reboots itself way too often...

Jun 27, 2014 12:32 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Well, I had just written quite a lengthy response, because Safari has been acting so very, very weird. and then this POS browser first did it's infuriating rebooting of the Web Content, and as it was re-loading it just crashed.... of course! Lost this message, and another lengthy one to a friend I had almost finished! I quite wrongly assumed Safari could be open for at least a half hour without rebooting and crashing..... So, I'm not a happy camper at this moment, and will not rewrite all the wack behavior I had just experienced today (wasting way too much of this afternoon)... but do wonder what exactly is "multisafari"?

Safari has been deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.