Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video brightness problems with mini hooked up to TV

I have a Late 2012 Mac mini that I use as a media hub in my living room. It's hooked up via HDMI to a Pioneer amp and then the display is piped to a Samsung TV. When watching content purchased through the iTMS in full-screen mode, the brightness changes every few seconds from what looks to be "normal" to fairly dark and muddy. The content is watchable, but the constant change in brightness does get annoying. If I watch the content inside the iTunes window, I don't get the strobing; it's only when watching the video Full Screen. I've looked through the settings on the amp and the TV but haven't found one that affects the problem I'm seeing. Has anyone else seen something like this? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot it?

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 10:29 PM

6 replies

May 13, 2014 3:48 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi.

I have the same issue on my mac mini late 2012.

The brightness changes randomly (and often) when wathcing movies I bought in itunes, but only in itunes.

Netflix and viaplay is fine, no problems there?

If anyone has a sollution to this problem I´ll be very grateful. Have tried to contact apple about it,

but they did not have any sollution to the problem and only asked for a logfile to continue trouble shooting?

So the issue remains a very annoying problem. This problem is not on my apple-tv watching the same movies,

so it seems that it is only related to the mac mini combined with itunes?

Any suggestions can be posted here or sent to my email: persag@hotmail.com

Jul 30, 2014 5:33 AM in response to persag

I have the same setup (Mac Mini 2012 & HD TV) and the same problem.

When the Mac Mini plays in 'full screen' everything goes a bit duller playing iTunes HD movies.

Things get brighter when subtitles are on and then the 'correct' brightness appears when (and only when) there is something to display.

Notice that the brightness changes whenever the mouse is moved (i.e. whenever any OS X interface element appears).

Extremely annoying. Doesn't happen with Apple TV.

Any suggestions anyone???

Aug 25, 2014 3:22 PM in response to rbws

Hi.

Sorry, but I´ve been trying to find a solution to this problem for quite some time without success.

Have googled it many times and read about different solutions, but nothing have solved it so far.

Have hoped an update of iTunes and/or the os would solve it, but so far nothing has?

So if anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate it:)

Best regards Per Saglien

Mar 1, 2015 2:34 AM in response to jkusters

Hi.

It seems that I finally have found a solution to this problem. It is not perfect, but at least it stops the screen from changing the brightness randomly when watching movies from my mac mini.

The solution is to go into settings, accessability and turn on switch control. I hide the switch control as much as possible in one of the corners down to the left or right corner and makes it as small as possible. It seems it must be active on order to stop the screen from flickering, so I can live with that.

As I said, it is not perfect because a small corner of the switch control will be visible while watching movies, but it is better than the flickering.

If anyone has another or better solution to this problem I´m all ears:)

Have a flicker free afternoon all who have had this problem on mac´s or other iOS devices.

Screenshot of the solution in Norwegian setup

Best regards. Per SaglienUser uploaded file

Oct 15, 2015 8:53 AM in response to persag

As mentioned, you guys need to go into your TV settings and make sure that any kind of dynamic contrast and backlight setting is disabled.

In addition, make sure that energy saving modes are turned off as well.

Many new TVs have modes like this (often on by default), which are meant to save enedgy and also give the (fake) effect of improving contrast on a backlit screen.

In practice, these do nothing more than severely degrade the accuracy of the overall image.

You might also do some Google searches on basic TV calibration, as absolutely no consumer TV comes out of the box with an accurate or even good picture.

All manufacturers do this on purpose in order to catch your eye in stores. It may look good to the untrained eye, but the image it gives in terms of contrast, brightness, white balance, color, etc. is not even close to what the director is seeing in the studio.

Video brightness problems with mini hooked up to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.