Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having trouble setting up my new apple tv

While in the process of setting up my new apple tv, it having hard time setting up the date and time. I tried everything that the manual said and it still doesnt work.

Any other suggestions?

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 11:38 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2014 2:36 PM in response to Slymongoose

Hello Slymongoose,

It sounds like you are uanble to set the date and time automatically on your Apple TV. I would check to see if the proper port is open on your network router with this article:

Apple TV: TCP and UDP ports and protocols used

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2463

These network ports are used by Apple TV for communications on your network.

TCP port 123 is used to communicate with a network time server.

There are other ports that I would verify are open in the article to help minimize any future connection issues.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Aug 3, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Slymongoose

G'day mate,

I had this problem too, and it took me a while to sort it out.

So it turns out, here in Australia, only one Internet Service Provider (ISP) includes or uses the date / time function in their modems. This means, unless your ISP is Telstra, you will most certainly have the activation error you are speaking about.

To fix this problem, create a Personal Hotspot with your iPhone and connect your Apple TV to your iPhone. Activate the Apple TV, then you can go ahead and connect to your standard home WiFi.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

I am having trouble setting up my new apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.