Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do ALL MacPros come with AirPort?

I just bought a MacPro today, and if it comes with an AirPort,
I can't seem to activate it.
If mine doesn't have one, how do I add it?
Thanx!

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 24, 2006 5:47 PM

11 replies

Sep 6, 2006 4:13 PM in response to Michael Flynn

I just spoke with a tech at CompUSA and they confirmed that it is a combo card (Airport and Bluetooth) that utilizes one of the PCI slots. CompUSA does NOT have these in stock.

Was at the Apple Store in Glendale yesterday and they did NOT know any information on this subject other than the fact that Airport Express will not work. Said we would have to take it to an Authorized Apple Service Center.

So, as far as I can tell (after searching the web, reading forums, reading the Apple site and making phone calls) there is not an option for those needing wireless connectivity. For now, we are just running a reaaaaaaal long Cat 5 cable.

Sep 6, 2006 7:12 PM in response to Forrest McElfresh1

I actually agree with Apple's decision to make Airport a CTO option. I, for one, cannot imagine needing one in a decisively non-portable machine like the Mac Pro. It's got two 1Gbps ethernet interfaces, for heaven's sake. If you want a wireless AP just get one and plug it into the network, with better choices for placement, better arials, etc.

Bluetooth, on the other hand, is an inexcusable omission IMHO. No desktop these days should come without Bluetooth by default. There are just too many mobile gadgets out there that one might want to use with the computer...

Cheers
Steffen.

Sep 6, 2006 7:15 PM in response to dotnet

User uploaded fileI too think that Airport does not need to be a standard option. I doubt that many would opt for using Airport over 2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports unless there was no other option.

I did however order the Airport option… more out of a "just in case" more than anything. Given I was waiting, and still am 😟, for the ATi X1900XT and I need Bluetooth it wasn't that difficult a decision to tack it on as an after-thought. If it weren't for the ATi wait I probably wouldn't have.

Do ALL MacPros come with AirPort?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.