Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac beeping instead of starting?

I have tried to start my iMac and it just beeps in threes and nothing else

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 4:01 AM

16 replies

Apr 28, 2014 12:57 PM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Chances are the RAM that is installed is the wrong and incompatible RAM!

Macs are VERY, VERY picky about the RAM specs they need and just having RAM installed from a local conputer/electronics store means that they probably do not have the correct Mac RAM.

You live 900 KM from your local conputer repair center?

Where are you from?

If the RAM is the wrong RAM, you may have to travel there, return the RAM, get your money AND your old RAM back!

The only real place to get genuine and reliable Mac RAM is online.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

What year, screen size, CPU speed of your iMac?

Apr 28, 2014 4:25 PM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Depending on which model iMac you have and the configuration of the memory currently installed, you may be able to remove a couple of the DIMM's and then swap the positions of the remaining DIMM's to isolate a possibly bad or incorrectly spec'ed DIMM. I suggest doing the following:

1) Refer to iMac: How to remove or install memory to find out how to properly remove the DIMM's and the supported memory configurations for your particular model.

2) Verify that the DIMM's installed are compatible with your system. Each name brand DIMM should have some sort of label providing the specs. Compare the information to the information found in the iMac: Memory specifications and upgrades article.

3) If the memory meets the specifications listed in the document listed above, then try swapping the DIMM's. If you have four DIMM's installed, take out two of the DIMM's and insert the remaining two in the correct slots. While the DIMM's are out check the gold fingers on each one to make sure they are nice and clean. Each system may have different requirements about whether particular slots need to be populated in order for the system to complete the power on self test. If you provide more specific information about your iMac we can provide more detailed assistance.

Apr 28, 2014 4:44 PM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Is there a way to contact the Authorized Repair agency to tell them

of this problem in using the computer with their new RAM installed,

& to ask that they post the old RAM to you, so you can reinstall it??

Given the distances involved, and all. They may be understanding

in that most Authorized Repair agencies or authorized Apple service

providers would have tested the computer after a RAM upgrade to

see if any number of loaded applications or functions would cause

it to fail. -- Sometimes, a simple boot-up OK test says nothing.

Sounds like your experience is equal to one I had with compUSA

or AK Mac store several years ago, with two different computers.

Where an applecare plan was involved, so I couldn't fix it myself.

Hopefully you can contact them, and they will not charge you to

get your original RAM back. If they haven't re-sold it already!

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 11, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Csound1

In the end, they decided the mother board was dying due the power surges during our floods and after much hassle and waiting I got a new computer under insurance.

However...they sent me the old one back and after paying attention to previous posts I started removing the new memory one card at a time and "Bugger Me" I got it going again, although it isn't altogether happy.

I have been able to save everything that I had on it and am in the process of backing it up to the new one now. At this stage I am happy to use this one for nonessential work till it dies completely and put the new one to work on my precious photos.

Thank you all for your help with this, you have saved my sanity!!!!!

Rusty

Aug 11, 2014 7:06 AM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Thank you all for your help and Some of your advice was VERY helpful in the end.

The "tec store" will never get another job from me again!!!! Their service was abysmal to say the least with a total lack of professionalism and lies. For how long anything took it will be simpler to send it all the way back to Apple in the future.

Till next time....Cheers

Rusty

Why is my iMac beeping instead of starting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.