Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't netflix sound work on my Apple TV and when I click up and down and side ways I hear the click

Why won't netflix sound work on my Apple TV and when I click up and down and side ways I hear the click

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 1:31 PM

Hey there Marky195,

It sounds like you arent getting sound from Netflix on your Apple TV but other audio such as button presses seem to make sound. I would use these troubleshooting steps from the following article:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting audio issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5150

You can fix most audio issues, including no sound or static, by following these steps:

1. Check that all connections between your Apple TV and TV or home theater receiver are secure and fully plugged in.
  2. If you use a receiver with your Apple TV, set the receiver to the corresponding input. See the manufacturer's user guide for help changing your receiver input.
  3. Adjust the volume on your TV or receiver and turn off mute. See the manufacturer's user guide for help changing the volume or mute setting.
  4. Restart your Apple TV by holding down Menu and Down on the Apple Remote for six seconds. The Apple TV may take a few minutes to restart.

If you're using a home theater receiver or optical digital audio port (sometimes called S/PDIF or TOSLINK):

1. Connect your TV directly to your Apple TV with an HDMI cable.
  2. If the audio issue isn't resolved, see the manufacturer's user guide for additional support or follow the steps below.

If you continue to experience the issue after completing the above steps, try these steps:

1. Set the audio output mode for the Apple TV:
    1. With your Apple Remote, select Settings > Audio & Video.
    2. Change the Audio Output setting from Auto to 16 bit.
  2. Turn off the Dolby Digital Out setting (your TV or receiver may not be properly detecting a Dolby Digital signal):
    2. Change the Dolby Digital Out setting from On to Off.

If there's no sound when you navigate the menu, adjust the preference in Settings > Audio & Video > Sound Effects.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Marky195

Hey there Marky195,

It sounds like you arent getting sound from Netflix on your Apple TV but other audio such as button presses seem to make sound. I would use these troubleshooting steps from the following article:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting audio issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5150

You can fix most audio issues, including no sound or static, by following these steps:

1. Check that all connections between your Apple TV and TV or home theater receiver are secure and fully plugged in.
  2. If you use a receiver with your Apple TV, set the receiver to the corresponding input. See the manufacturer's user guide for help changing your receiver input.
  3. Adjust the volume on your TV or receiver and turn off mute. See the manufacturer's user guide for help changing the volume or mute setting.
  4. Restart your Apple TV by holding down Menu and Down on the Apple Remote for six seconds. The Apple TV may take a few minutes to restart.

If you're using a home theater receiver or optical digital audio port (sometimes called S/PDIF or TOSLINK):

1. Connect your TV directly to your Apple TV with an HDMI cable.
  2. If the audio issue isn't resolved, see the manufacturer's user guide for additional support or follow the steps below.

If you continue to experience the issue after completing the above steps, try these steps:

1. Set the audio output mode for the Apple TV:
    2. Change the Audio Output setting from Auto to 16 bit.
  2. Turn off the Dolby Digital Out setting (your TV or receiver may not be properly detecting a Dolby Digital signal):
    2. Change the Dolby Digital Out setting from On to Off.

If there's no sound when you navigate the menu, adjust the preference in Settings > Audio & Video > Sound Effects.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.