Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I often have to touch things twice on my I pad to get things to happen?

Why do I often have to touch things twice in Safari to get things to happen?

iPad, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 9:12 PM

Yes, I've been having the same problem, and it's driving me nuts! I'm on an iPad 4 with os7 and it consistently exhibits this behavior on Facebook and Amazon. Can't find any info about this annoying "feature." Anyone??

10 replies

Apr 27, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Engineer28

You have VoiceOver turned on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4064

VoiceOver

If VoiceOver is on and you want to turn it off from the device instead of from iTunes, remember that a double-tap acts like a single tap and you need to use three fingers to scroll when VoiceOver is on:

Press Home.

Tap Settings. Then double-tap Settings.

Tap General. Then double-tap General.

Use three fingers on the screen to scroll to Accessibility.

Tap Accessibility. Then double-tap Accessibility.

Tap VoiceOver. Then double-tap VoiceOver.

Tap "On" next to VoiceOver. Then double-tap "On" to turn it off.

Jun 2, 2014 3:14 AM in response to Engineer28

If it is specific to Safari only, try clearing Safari, close the browser completely and reset your iPad.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data.

In order to close apps in iOS 7, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Why do I often have to touch things twice on my I pad to get things to happen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.