Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCR

I recently purchased a HD movie from the iTunes store and downloaded it to my iMac. I was going to show it on my HDTV, 720p, and the transfer from the iMac started and appeared to be going fine but stopped after about 30 minutes with a message saying that there was a connecton probem between my Apple TV and the TV. I have been using the Apple TV and the TV connection, which is HDMI, for some time with other videos without a problem so wonder if it is the HD movie that is new to my system. I have been showing videos from Vimeo that are HD and some videos that I have made so wonder what the rules of using Apple TV and HD movies. Is there any documents that explain what can and can't be done?

Thanks

Andy

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), iPone and iPad , iOS 7

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 4:30 PM

I think you mean HDCP. Is this the first iTunes movie you've tried to view? That content is protected, and requires an HDCP compliant TV, a model number for your HDTV would help clarify this.

Vimeo content would not have this copy protection in place.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4428

12 replies

Apr 28, 2014 2:51 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for your help with this, I was not getting anywhere in trying to find this out.

I don't think that either of our HDTVs have HDCP. Too bad that this required capability of a TV is not well understood before making purchases from iTunes or Netflix. Buying a new TV isn't a solution for me at this time.

Thanks again.

Andy

Apr 28, 2014 3:23 PM in response to AndyGump

It's something put in place by the studios and impacts streaming any HD content to your TV, through these types of services (those are the 2 most common ones). It is a pain, but you can thank Hollywood for that.

In any case, I believe it is more a fault of the brand, as it is rare to find one released at that time without this in place, that one in particular is not one I usually recommend.

The requirement is listed on the box and product page.

Anyway, you can continue to watch the content you have been on ATV, or view on iMac, until you are able to upgrade the TV.

Apr 29, 2014 10:08 AM in response to vazandrew

When I was looking for an explanation of HDCP requirements I came upon this article at Apple but it didn't register with me at the time that all the parts between Apple TV and the TV must be HDCP compatible. Following is an exerpt from that article.

"

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): About Apple TV and HDCP

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a form of digital copy protection that requires compatibility between your Apple TV and high-definition TV.

HDCP compatibility is required for video playback between your Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) and high-definition TV. Apple TV supports HDCP but all devices in the HDMI connection, including the TV, must also support this digital copy protection for successful video playback.

So I must have purchased a noncompatible HDMI cable when I got the Apple TV and apparently the TV itself is HDCP compatible.

Andy

HDCR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.