You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is my password to open a zip in archive utility

Hello, I recently downloaded a zip file and want to open it with archive utility. However before I can it's asking me for a password, and I have to idea what password they are talking about.

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 11:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 11:46 AM

Normally it isn't necessary to enter a password. If you're being asked for one, it's probably because whoever zipped it up created it as a password-protected zip file. If that's the case, it means the password it wants is not yours, but the one the creator gave it. You may have to go back to the website you downloaded it from and see if you missed where the password was listed.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Lpip93

Normally it isn't necessary to enter a password. If you're being asked for one, it's probably because whoever zipped it up created it as a password-protected zip file. If that's the case, it means the password it wants is not yours, but the one the creator gave it. You may have to go back to the website you downloaded it from and see if you missed where the password was listed.

what is my password to open a zip in archive utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.