Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to transfer files from my Mac Pro top Mac Air. i'M WRITING A BOOK SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT, WHICH IS ON PAGES, COMES ALONG AND IS IN TACT. iS THIS HARD TO DO FOR A SLIGHTLY ELDERLY PERSON WHO WANTS IT DONE RIGHT AND SO THAT I CAN GET TO WORK

I am buying an Apple Air and want to transfer files including a book I am writing on Pages.

I am not very tech savy. I have been told, however, by a number of friends I can save $1000 and do this myself.

I don't mind giving it a whirl, but i don';t want to loose anything in the transfer, And, I was hoping this was a fairly quick, fool-proof, process.

I have looked into this a bit and was wondering if I need two (2) Ethernet cables? That is,one from the Mac Pro to the Ethernet and one from the Apple Air to the Ethernet? Or, is it one just one cable to the Ethernet? And, if so, from the Apple Pro or the Apple Air to the Ehternet?

I'm assuming a dsiplay box appears on either or both of the notebooks? Perhaps prompting you to transfer everthing you have on the Apple Pro hard drive to the

the Apple Air hard drive? Or, to selection files? Dumb question: I assume my book, which is written on Pages is on The Apprle Pro hard drive? Correct? Or is it on a file folder separately?

I appreciate any feedback yuou may have.

Again, is it striaghtforward and easy to accomplish?

Thanks,

-Larry

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 12:20 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Larrypie

The following may help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872

Note that the MacBook Air does not have an ethernet port so you can either use wi-fi if you have that, or you can buy an ethernet adpater such as: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC704ZM/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter or you could use an external disk.

Also, if you took it to a local shop that specializes in Macs the cost shouldn't be anywhere near $1000 for them to assist. More like $100 and could even be free if they sell Macs and you buy the new one there.

I want to transfer files from my Mac Pro top Mac Air. i'M WRITING A BOOK SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT, WHICH IS ON PAGES, COMES ALONG AND IS IN TACT. iS THIS HARD TO DO FOR A SLIGHTLY ELDERLY PERSON WHO WANTS IT DONE RIGHT AND SO THAT I CAN GET TO WORK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.