Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't load Google Maps, some other websites w OSX 10.6 Safari 5.1.0

Some Websites, including Google Maps, won't load or work properly with Sarari 5.1.10 in OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Should I reinstall Safari? Delete Safari Preferences? Look for a different version of Safari?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 9:04 PM

Tom ..

Safari 5.1.10 is the latest version available for v10.6 Snow Leopard.

You're having problems because the minimum requirement for Google Maps is Mac OS X v10.8.3 or later.

System requirements and issues - Google Maps Help

8 replies

Apr 27, 2014 10:29 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks, Carolyn

You're having problems because the minimum requirement for Google Maps is Mac OS X v10.8.3

Then three more questions, please:

1) How come Google Maps works beautifully with the same OS and Firefox?

2) How come there are several other web sites, including Apple itself, that don't work correctlty in Safari?

3) If there are problems in general with Safari and OS X 10.6.8, where can I find an earlier versiohn of Safari?

Thanks,

Tom

Apr 30, 2014 10:10 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Here are two examples:

1. At maps.google.com, a green map of my home area comes up but all links are unresponsive. A small orange window says "Loading..." but nothing happens.

2. At https://www.apple.com/support/contact/ the service options link has been non-responding for the past week. Today it is working.

Many other web sites won't load, won't work or are flakey in some way. These problems don't happen in Firefox.

Carolyn points out, OSX 10.6.8 is not a recent OS and that the minimum requirement for Google Maps is Mac OS X v10.8.3 or later.

Yet 20 percent of all OS users(I seem to recall) are still using Snow Leopard. Is it possible that all those users are not using Google Maps?

I think I probably have a corrupted file somewhere and need to delete and replace some files to make Safari work correctly but I have no idea which ones. Or perhaps I need to load an earlier version of Safari.

If I can't find out what to do about this, I guess I'll just make Firefox my default browser. That would take the least work!

Tom

May 6, 2014 12:07 AM in response to Tom Kirshbaum

Problem solved! I went to Safari Preferences in the Safari menu and began deleting extensions. When I got down to the extensions I reallly needed and left them in, Google Maps and all the other flakey websites worked perfectly. I'm sure the default for Google Maps was what Google calls Google Maps Light. It looks like the Google Maps that used to work on my computer, not the fancy new 3D version. I don't mind a bit. So it wasn't an OS problem or a Safari problem or a Google Maps problem, it was an extension conflicrt. I'm not sure which extension caused the problem, but I suspect it was an obsure extension installed by Kaspersky Anti-Virus, which works fine without it. So my advice to anyone having flakey Safari problems is: turn off your extensions, restart Safari and see if this makes a difference.

Jun 17, 2014 1:40 AM in response to Tom Kirshbaum

Hi Tom

Fine, You have solved it, I dont 😟

I know the problem for years, but I gave up looking for a solution. This is curious: I have 3 Macs (iMac 24' 2008, Macbook 2006, Macbook Pro 2007) all with Mac OS 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.10, but only the iMac have this problem with Google Maps (and also non-working embedded Youtube videos on some websites). The problem has nothing to do with an outdated system! I would be surprised if anyone here would know an answer 😉

Now I mainly use Chrome.

Robert

Jul 10, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Robert Fietzek

Hi Robert or Tom,

I have been using Mac OS 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.10 for YEARS with NO problems. All of a sudden…. wow! I cannot load certain Websites like FACEBOOK and YAHOO among others.

Tom, you said you solved the problem by going to Safari PREFERENCES, and began DELETING extensions. i did not have ANY extensions!!! Are you suggesting that i actually need certain extensions to run Safari properly?

This is driving me NUTS…. :>(

Can't load Google Maps, some other websites w OSX 10.6 Safari 5.1.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.