Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Doesn't Recognize Symantec VIP Plugin

Our company uses Symantec VIP for authentication. I've just installed a fresh instance of Mac OS Mavericks and setting things up. I've tried to install the Symantec plugin, but Safari doesn't recognize it. It continually asks me to reinstall, but nothing. In Firefox it works fine.

Any ideas why Safari wouldn't recognize this? Driving me nuts.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 2:28 PM

8 replies

Apr 30, 2014 12:45 PM in response to diceman726

Hello Diceman726,

The latest Symantec VIP Access Desktop for Mac does not install any browser pluggin. You may get the latest VIP Access for free at the link below:

https://idprotect.vip.symantec.com/

If this is not the product that you are looking to use, then please share screenshots and more details about the plug-in.

DETAILS ABOUT VIP ACCES DESKTOP FOR MAC VERSION 1.0.1

Supported Platforms

This release of VIP Access for MAC is supported on the MAC OS X 10.5 or higher.

Installing the VIP Access for MAC

Complete the following steps to install VIP Access for MAC:

1. Uninstall the existing VIP Access for MAC application. For more information on uninstalling the existing VIP Access for MAC application, see Uninstalling the VIP Access for MAC

2. Download the VIP Access.dmg file from the Symantec Web site.

3. Double-click the VIP Access.dmg file to mount the disk image with the name VIP Access.

4. Move the VIP Access for MAC application from the disk image to your Applications folder using a drag-and-drop operation. This enables all the users of the system to access the VIP Access for MAC application from their respective Applications folder.

5. Double-click the VIP Access for MAC application to launch the application.

Jun 30, 2015 6:33 AM in response to JoshuaAtAppleForum

Hi Joshua,

The plug-in is called Symantec PKI Client Plugin Installer, maybe this helps. It's definitely not the VIP Access Desktop.

I'm having the same issues as diceman. Previous Macbook Air it worked fine, now new installation on a MacBook it doesn't recognize the device and I have to authenticate the safari browser everytime I log-in. Works fine with Firefox.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, R

Jul 23, 2015 9:40 PM in response to diceman726

Diceman,

I had the same exact problem. I had once properly installed the Symantec authentication client plug-in (I believe people refer to it as VIP or PKI client), and had it working on my Safari browser. I accidentally removed the tblive-4.plugin from my Internet Plug-Ins folder in my Library files. From then on, I could never get the darn thing to reinstall on Safari. Same on Chrome. But I downloaded Firefox, and that seemed to work.

I still wanted it to work on Safari (my default browser). I felt like something must be being cached in the background, but I wasn't sure. Any case a few hours of research (where I first stumbled into your link) and some amount of experimenting later, I finally stumbled into an internal corporate site that had a troubleshooting page, and at the bottom was a file for Mac Symantec plugin uninstaller (It was labeled: symantec-auth-client-plugin-uninstall.dmg). I closed all my browsers, ran that, then I logged back into our secure site, and this time instead of getting the errors, it properly registered my computer. Now, everything is working again.

I was so happy, I went through my history to find this link, logged in a new Apple account so I could write you back and share the information. I couldn't find the uninstaller anywhere on the Internet to download (otherwise I would've linked it for you), but I would suggest you reach out to your internal IT department and ask for this Symantec client plugin uninstaller.

I know that answer might not get you all the way there, but hopefully it gives you what solution you're looking for now (assuming we're facing the same root cause issue).

Best of luck! By the way, I went to school with a guy who was the president of our fraternity (DTD) in Michigan, I know it's common, but his nickname was "Diceman". You didn't go to school at GMI in Michigan by chance, did ya?

-Ed

Aug 30, 2015 12:57 PM in response to diceman726

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. This is how I've fixed it:

1. CLOSE ALL Safari windows (this approach won't work if Safari is still on)

2. Open a Terminal window

3. Use the command sudo find / -name "tblive*" -print (you'll have to type in your Mac user password)

a)Ignore all files found on /.MobileBackups

4. The command above should find files in two locations:

a) ~/.tblive-4

b) ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/tblive-4.plugin

5. Open a Finder window and use the Go to Folder (Shift+Command+G)

a) Go to ~/.tblive-4 and delete the folder and all its contents

b) Go to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/tblive-4.plugin and delete the file

c) If the command on line #3 has found files on other locations, you should consider deleting them (I haven't found any other files)

6. Open Safari and go to your corporation site

a) Chose the option "Remember this device"

b) Follow the instructions

This has fixed the problem for me.

Safari Doesn't Recognize Symantec VIP Plugin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.