Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and AT&T Uverse

I was hoping if anyone knew how to set up a time capsule with an at&t uverse modem box. Uverse is great when it comes to tv, but I feel the standard modem that comes with it is garbage. I would love to upgrade to the capsule so that I can also back up my mac. (I especially want to back it up now that Apple has allowed for regular people like me to join the os x beta seed program...I plan on joining) But the problem is that the modem is also part of the connection to watch tv. It's like its all in one piece. So how do I take away the internet part from the uverse modem and use it through the apple time capsule?? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 2:35 PM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2014 2:46 PM in response to j.moreno271

Unfortunately, you will not be able to do everything that you ask if you have Uverse.

What you can do is let the Uverse do its thing and then set up the Time Capsule to provide a separate wireless network for your devices and have the Mac(s) backup to the Time Capsule that way.

Or if you want to use the Uverse wirless to back up, that is possible as well.

The setup with Mavericks is amazingly simple. Should only take a minute or two to be up and running. Basic requirements would be an Ethernet cable to connect the Uverse and Time Capsule together. The cable can be virtually any length, so you should be able to locate the Time Capsule just about anywhere you want.

Post back if you want to try this.

Apr 27, 2014 3:00 PM in response to j.moreno271

The Time Capsule can indeed create its own wireless network......which frankly, will run circles around the Uverse product in terms of performance......so that is probably the way that you would want to go.

Leave the Uverse as is and it will be fine. Just have your other wireless devices connect to the Time Capsule wireless network and that signal will be routed through the Uverse modem/router and on to the Internet.

You would not back up to the Uverse, you would back up to the Time Capsule. It is possible to use the Uverse wireless network to back up to the Time Capsule, but only if you prefer a slower connection with much longer times that it will take to back up.

Apr 27, 2014 3:12 PM in response to j.moreno271

Correct. You might want to figure out where you want to locate the Time Capsule and then buy an Ethernet cable with a few extra feet.

You will need to make sure that the Time Capsule and Uverse products have at least 6-8 feet or a few meters of separation between them.

Try to locate the Time Capsule higher, rather than lower in the room. You want wireless devices to have as clear a look at the Time Capsule as possible for best performance.

May 28, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I hope I'm ok following up on this (and if necroposting is frowned on, I'll start my own thread).

I signed up with U-verse last September and I'm not having problems connecting to the internet - my PS3, Apple TV iPod and iPhone are using it just fine. I run into a problem with performance loading videos on my Macbook Pro running Yosemite. Sometimes pages are slow to load if they load at all, and frequently, videos don't load at all on my Macbook Pro.

Would extending the length of my ethernet cable between the U-verse router and my Time Capsule help? Or is there a setting I can tweak on either router that can improve loading times? I've done the internet speed test and I'm not seeing much of a difference in performance between the Uverse router and my Time Capsule, but it's a pain in the butt, not being able to get things to load. Not sure if there is anything I can do.

For what it's worth, I don't have that long an ethernet cable connecting the Time Capsule with the U-verse router... could that be a factor?

Time Capsule and AT&T Uverse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.