Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod nano is frozen and I cannot reset it. How do I reset my ipod?

I have an ipod nano that I purchased in 2009. I believe it is a 5th generation. It is frozen and I cannot reset it.

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 11:58 AM

Hey there Tricia9170,

It sounds like you are unable to use the iPod Nano becuase it is unresponsive. Verify that this is the reset you have performed:

To reset your iPod:

• 1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  • 2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If so, try restoring it with the following steps in iTunes:

Note: Because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure toback up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library.

How to restore your iPod:

• 1. Make sure you've reinstalled the latest version of iTunes.
  • 2. Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer.
  • 3. After a few moments, it will appear in the source list in iTunes. If the iPod's display doesn't show "Connected" or "Do not disconnect" you may need to put the iPod into disk mode to proceed.
  • 4. Select your iPod in the source list and you will see information about it appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes windows.
  • 5. Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
    • Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
    • Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
    • Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
    • Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
  • Note
  • : For Mac users, A message will appear prompting you to enter an administrator's name and password.
  • 6. A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will instruct you to leave iPod connected to your computer to complete restore.
  • 7. During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
  • 8. After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

From: iPod nano (5th generation) Troubleshooting Assistant

https://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano5gen/#

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Tricia9170

Hey there Tricia9170,

It sounds like you are unable to use the iPod Nano becuase it is unresponsive. Verify that this is the reset you have performed:

To reset your iPod:

• 1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  • 2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If so, try restoring it with the following steps in iTunes:

Note: Because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure toback up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library.

How to restore your iPod:

• 1. Make sure you've reinstalled the latest version of iTunes.
  • 2. Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer.
  • 3. After a few moments, it will appear in the source list in iTunes. If the iPod's display doesn't show "Connected" or "Do not disconnect" you may need to put the iPod into disk mode to proceed.
  • 4. Select your iPod in the source list and you will see information about it appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes windows.
  • 5. Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
    • Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
    • Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
    • Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
    • Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
  • Note
  • : For Mac users, A message will appear prompting you to enter an administrator's name and password.
  • 6. A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will instruct you to leave iPod connected to your computer to complete restore.
  • 7. During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
  • 8. After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

From: iPod nano (5th generation) Troubleshooting Assistant

https://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano5gen/#

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

My ipod nano is frozen and I cannot reset it. How do I reset my ipod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.