Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I upgrade memory on 24-inch early 2009 imac

I currently have 8 GB (2-4 GB memory cards) installed. I am running Photoshop Elements, Lightroom, Pixa, Brushpilot, Fontbook, and Safari simultaneously to do my scrapbooking and I just need more memory to speed things up. I haven't been able to find anything in the apple store regarding this. Can I upgrade to 16 GB?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 24-inch Early 2009

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply
15 replies

Jul 25, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm currently running with a 500GB (original) drive approx 50% filled. Not sure on antivirus... If i do have, then it would be Avast. Currently have OS X Yosemite running on it. The machine is stable, just not as fast as it used to be... I only have 4GB of RAM (listed in the about this Mac popup). I haven't opened up my RAM cover to see if I only have 2 or for sodimm slots.

Nov 24, 2015 12:05 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hi! I, too, have an early 2009 iMac 24" and am trying to upgrade from the 4 gigs that came with it to 8 gigs. I just purchased 2x4GB 1066 DDR3 SO DIMM chips and the machine won't start with them installed so I had to reinstall the original 2GB chips.

Here are the specs for my machine:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.45f0

Serial Number (system): W8*********0TG

Hardware UUID: 58940B27-E9E5-5095-9A85-4B7C8C004872

Can you tell, based on this information, why the new chips won't work?

Thanks!!

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Nov 24, 2015 12:05 PM in response to jvmooresc

Macs are very picky with memory modules, especially with the newer systems. Even if their specs say they meet Mac's requirements doesn't mean they will work.

If you didn't get those modules from Crucial,.com I would send them back for a refund and reorder from Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com. They are the two most reliable sources for memory modules for Macs. I won't use modules from any other source.

User uploaded file

can I upgrade memory on 24-inch early 2009 imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.