Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -5010F did I ruin my MacBook Pro?

I went through recovery and unmounted my hard drive so I can erase the data. After I erased the data I didn't want to reinstall OS X Mavericks so I shut down my MacBook Pro. After I turned it back on it won't let me get back into recovery settings the world spinning image goes on forever then shows me a error message called -5010F what does this mean? Did I just ruin my MacBook from ever being restored? Help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 11:20 PM

Shelby LeAnne,

no, you haven’t ruined your MacBook Pro. To run OS X Internet Recovery over wi-fi, you’ll need a connection with WPA or WPA2 security; if your wi-fi connection doesn’t have that feature, then you won’t be able to restore your MacBook Pro’s original version of OS X via Internet Recovery over wi-fi — you could use a different wi-fi connection which does have that security feature, or you could use an Ethernet connection rather than a Wi-Fi connection, or you could make an appointment at an Apple store to have them restore OS X for you.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2014 11:20 PM in response to Shelby LeAnne

Shelby LeAnne,

no, you haven’t ruined your MacBook Pro. To run OS X Internet Recovery over wi-fi, you’ll need a connection with WPA or WPA2 security; if your wi-fi connection doesn’t have that feature, then you won’t be able to restore your MacBook Pro’s original version of OS X via Internet Recovery over wi-fi — you could use a different wi-fi connection which does have that security feature, or you could use an Ethernet connection rather than a Wi-Fi connection, or you could make an appointment at an Apple store to have them restore OS X for you.

Feb 9, 2015 9:37 PM in response to Tofoggin

I'm in the process now. First had the flashing file folder with question mark so I shut it down not knowing what was happening. Would boot about 50% after that then shut down completely. Tried holding down the Option key at startup but clicking on my one and only hard drive did nothing. Then did Command + R and got the 5010F error. Shut it down and connected with an Ethernet cable and it's about 15% now and not moving very much if at all.

Just wondering if I should give up and visit the Genius Bar. This my first Mac, I have no experience with digging into the bones of the OS, disk utility, etc (had plenty with Windows which is why I ended up with a MBP!) so quite possibly way over my head and the first problem I've had in three years is this.

Did your system complete the recovery successfully?

Error -5010F did I ruin my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.