Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes u app for ios 6

Hi

I didn't pay attention and itunes U app did update automatically on itunes and after sync I lost the old version which enabled me to use in on my ihone 3 gs with iOS 6.

Now it's impossible to go back, the store wants me to upgrade to iOS 7, which is impossible with the 3GS.

Is there any possibility to download the iTunes U app for iOS 6, if yes, how to proceed ?

Thanks

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 11:52 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Huub Bouten

The previous version of the app should be in your trash can / recycle bin. You could try dragging that back into iTunes and it might replace the newer version with the previous one. I don't know if you can downgrade the app on your iPhone, however, as I've never tried it. (I know iOS can only ever be upgraded, never downgraded, but I don't know about individual apps.)

Worst case scenario, you could restore your phone to the backup immediately prior to the app upgrade. Unfortunately, if you are able to downgrade iTunes U via this route, you probably can't sync your iPhone with iTunes or you will encounter the same problem. 😟

Apr 29, 2014 11:31 AM in response to patixa

OK we could download via the iphone and App Store the previous version of iTunes U, but not Podcast. I know this is not part of the discussion, but in our classroom on all Iphones and Ipads, the apps ITunes U and Podcast disappeared further to a app upgrade and a following sync.

Nothing warned us about the fact that the downloaded version wouldn't work on iOS 6, nothing prevented them to get installed (in the iTunes app file)

So, now we got our iTunes U app back, because the store proposed the previous version. Regarding the podcast app the store ONLY proposes to change to iOS 7. Which woild mean to buy 34 new Iphones, which isn't really in the budget.

Thanks a lot Apple for mixing it all up to YOUR convenience.

Apr 30, 2014 11:09 AM in response to Huub Bouten

First, I doubt that the choice was made purely for Apple's convenience. As a software developer in a previous life, supporting a small population of "old" software is at least as expensive as supporting the current version. Both will have bugs, and the resources available to test the older platforms and software become less over time. I suspect other App Store developers are faced with similar choices and are happy with the current policy, particularly given how small most development shops are these days.

Ignoring my defense of software development practices, you do describe a painful problem. Have you reported it via bugreport.apple.com? Apple developers claimat WWDC that they don't know about problems reported outside that channel. (Well, presumably with the exception of major news sites, like the recent SSL debacles.)

May 1, 2014 12:37 AM in response to patixa

I do agree about the development in general, but this one is made by Apple and I think they do have the means to propose the previous version for download. Compared to their budget, this is peanuts...

I did ask Apple stores if there was no possibility. They said yes, but they had no authorisation to do so. I did send also a report to bugreport.apple.com, but until now no answer at all.

My only hope is that someone can mail/send me the Podcast app for iOS 6 so we can install her. I suppose that, the very moment the app is situated in the file "mobile applications", iTunes will see it and install it...

itunes u app for ios 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.