Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly high latency

First of all: I realise there are a lot of topics regarding latency in MainStage, but excactly for that reason it's very hard to find a topic about the issues i'm experiencing. I really hope someone can help me. (I'm not a native English speaker, I hope I can explain everything clearly).

My setup

Macbook Pro 13" 2010 (C2D 2.4Ghz), 8GB RAM

Mainstage 3.0.3

Saffire Pro 14 (Firewire)

Kurzweil PC3x

Kurzweil PC361

Within MainStage I use some software synths, but most of the time it's just the audio of my two Kurzweil synths going into MainStage and than immediately to the output. One synth is connected via analog jack input, the other one with S/PDIF. I use MainStage to send Midi program changes to my synths and to be able to make 'mixing' presets for every song/preset.

The issue

During my latest gig I suddenly noticed a very heavy input latency while playing my synth. It was near the end of the gig, after playing nearly 2,5 hours. The strange thing is: it was a patch with only 1 audio input routed to the output. No heavy synths running on my macbook, nothing that could possibly cause a high CPU load or fill my memory. Restarting Mainstage solved the issue.

My question is: do you think this is a software issue, related to my Macbook or related to my audio interface? I am thinking about buying a new macbook or a new audio interface, but it only makes sense if i can be sure it fixes the problem.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Saffire Pro 14, Macbook Pro 13" 201

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 8:09 AM

I investigated this a bit further today, but I don't really know how to reproduce it. It's not related to CPU load or memory i think. I tried getting the CPU load as high as possible today but I didn't succeed in hitting 100% or getting any latency. However, after running mainstage for about 3 hours the problem was back again. Again with an extremely simple patch: just two external instrument channel strips routed to the output, no effects.

To make it clear: with 'high latency' I mean 500ms or so.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Pim M.

I investigated this a bit further today, but I don't really know how to reproduce it. It's not related to CPU load or memory i think. I tried getting the CPU load as high as possible today but I didn't succeed in hitting 100% or getting any latency. However, after running mainstage for about 3 hours the problem was back again. Again with an extremely simple patch: just two external instrument channel strips routed to the output, no effects.

To make it clear: with 'high latency' I mean 500ms or so.

Apr 30, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Pim M.

Hi there,

this seems not be very normal to me. My setup use only VST/AU Mainstage with 2 Main Outs from 2 midi keyboards, my voice processed (Mainstage), In-ear (2 outs Mainstage), 1 monitor return from FOH (1 in Mainstage) and 3 other outs from Ableton Live (2 backing track and 1 click) and nearly have no latency. I use Motu Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid via firewire. What is the sample rate (see it in preferences)?

May 2, 2014 2:10 AM in response to Pim M.

Again... this is strange 😟

My setup is about 150 patches with different splits and it stays on for more than 6hours and works fine. A major diference I see is that you only have 2 cores?

One thing you could do is to increase the buffer size to around 256 or more (ok you´ll get a litle more latency but with only 2 cores its more stable for your MAC)

Does you have other software running in back? Is the MAC only for audio? Or other thing installed? If you could at sometime in your concert restart your Mainstage?

Does any of your Kurzweil have input so you connect the out of one to the input of another and only use Mainstage as a patch change?

May 2, 2014 2:20 AM in response to Bruno Filipe

Thank you very much for your help. I will try increasing the buffer size. However, I don't think it's a CPU issue since my CPU usage stays under 20% in the patch where it happened. On what Mac do you run MainStage?

I don't have any other software running. I could restart Mainstage during the gig, but it just doesn't feel safe to enter the stage when there's a problem and you don't know for sure that it's solved.

Using MainStage only for patch changes is safe, but I also use ESX24, Massive and vocoder. It wouldn't be the perfect solution.

May 2, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Pim M.

Pim M.

I really understand your Point of view when says you dont´feel safe with Mainstage on stage 🙂. If it fails its really boring 😟

If it´s stays in 20% again more strange, but it only fails when you stay open a long time...

How about testing with Mainstage 2? I stay with it a long time since update to Mainstage 3 (and I still have it installed if I need it).

Can you post a image of your channel strips in the patch you thing it crashes?

Jun 21, 2014 4:11 AM in response to Pim M.

Hi Pim M.

(Sorry not native english too) I have got exactly the same problem with only 2 audio inputs (microphones) and 1 virtual instrument after 1 hour or more or less, randomly ! This is really bad for my gigs. I tried with different driver latency. Here is my setup:

- MBP retina with 16 Go ram and 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 Quadcore (!!) with Mavericks.

- MainStage 3.0.3

- Saffire Pro 14

- Midi Keyboard Roland A800 Pro

Conclusion:

- You don't need to buy another MBP because i bought mine recently.

- The common point between us is the version of the software and the audio interface.

Do you find a solution finally? Did you try with another audio interface or MainStage 2 ?

Bruno Filipe, i bought MS2 before but it was another MBP and i didn't use audio inputs in my setup in the past so i can't say if it was stable or not. Do you know if i can reinstall MS2 too and keep MS3 in parallel to compare?

Thanks,

Jun 24, 2014 1:28 AM in response to jbule

Hi jbule,

Can you use the previous version os MS 3.0.3 and test it? Or send the concert to me to test it?

Yes you can have multiple versions of MS (and others mac programs) installed on the same MAC. I have MS2, MS3 and MS 3.0.3 installed so if I need to test something or something goes wrong can go back to another version.

you just need to copy the content of the version you want and paste on your hard drive. It´s easy.

If you need help just say.

Thanks

Jun 26, 2014 2:00 PM in response to Bruno Filipe

Thanks a lot Bruno Filipe,

So i installed a previous version of MS in parallel, the 2.2.2 and run MS 2.2.2 and MS 3.0.3 simultaneously, creating 2 new projects (i can t load my MS3 project in MS2) only with 2 audio inputs and a virtual instrument, one project for each version of MS. Finally, after few minutes or maybe one hour, i came back and had this crazy suddenly latency again, at the beginning only with MS3 but after few minutes more, same problem with MS 2 !

- Do you think it can come from an incompatibility between MS and the Focusrite audio interface?

I want to try with another interface but i only have the Liquide saffire56 which is from focusrite too, i m gonna try just in case and let you know.

- How can i send the concert to you to test? In private maybe?

- Last question, do you know how to come back to MS 3 without the 3.0.3 update to test?

Thanks again, this problem block me to play my gigs and summer is coming with concerts i have to play.

Jun 27, 2014 3:46 AM in response to jbule

Hi jbule,

don´t hesitate to ask 🙂

Don´t know if it´s the focusrite. I have the i/o pro 26 and don´t get that (but I use Motu today).

Yes I can test it - send to brunofilipe.bm@gmail.com

Don´t undestand your last question. You want the MS3 but not that version (3.0.3)? Want another?

I know it can be really frustrating have all this erros/bugs, but I can say is that MS is one BIG programa to use live.

Suddenly high latency

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.