Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting iTunes Playlists to Windows 7

I just discovered that I could export an iTunes Playlist, so I sent a Playlist to five friends. Two of them received and opened them, but three did not. I know that tthe thre either did ot receive them, or could not open them for two reasons: no paperclip appeared in the message line of the MAIL menu, and they didn't say anything.

One of the friends is using Windows 7 on her computer. So my question is, do you have to have iTunes installed in order to open a Mac iTunes Playlist? If not, what could be the reason that my three friends did not receive or cannot open my Playlist, and how can I overcome that problem?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 9:50 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Niku

Strictly speaking a playlist is just a text file containing information about tracks and the location of the actual media file on your computer containing the encoded music. In that regard pretty much anything, including the most basic text editor (including anything on almost any computer in the last 40 years) should be able to open the text file. It may not make a lot of sense to read it though, and of course it isn't much use without the actual music in which case you might as well send them a plain text listing of songs titles and artists.

Some playlists such as those with .m3u format can be imported into many media players (including, I suspect, Windows Media Player), though again it isn't much use without the media files (and if you send them copyright media files then that's, uh, illegal).

Apr 29, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Limnos

]

Some playlists such as those with .m3u format can be imported into many media players (including, I suspect, Windows Media Player), though again it isn't much use without the media files (and if you send them copyright media files then that's, uh, illegal).

I don't understand much of what you say, but I do think that you're saying that you can send a Playlist of songs that can be listened to by the receiver if your playlist uses .m3u format. Is this the standard iTunes format?

I might add that I don't undertand what

"An M3U file is a plain text file that specifies the locations of one or more media files," means, or its implictions. All I want to know is if the receiver can listen to a song I sent?

Apr 29, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Niku

All I want to know is if the receiver can listen to a song I sent?

Not by just exporting the playlist. The playlist only contains information about the song and the file that contains the song. It does not contain the actual music, it just has the information where that music is located on your computer.

Exporting iTunes Playlists to Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.