Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2014 7:42 AM by Patienceman Branched to a new discussion.
HenryFSU Level 1 Level 1

I have a headest coming in that is Class 1 capable, and was wondering.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

I believe it is Class 2.

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Yes it will work fine.

Class 1 is simply tthe power output & sensitivity, not whether it will work with other devices.

The bluetooth profiles decide if it works with other devices.

Class 1 puts out a max of 100mW and is rated up to 100 meters.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

Are you sure Chris? None of the prior iPhones were Class 1 and very few cell phones on the market are due to battery drain. I know my iPhone 5 is a Class 2, the only extended range is for low power under 4.0.

expertise.itunes
    iTunes

The iPhone may not be a class 1 device but it talks BlueTooth, so the class is irrelevant (unless you are using it for distance).

As long as the correct BT profles are there, it will work.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

The OP is talking about using a Class 1 headset they will only pair with a Class 1 equipped device regardless of the profiles that are present. Class 1 was a much bigger thing between 2006 - 2009 and later with home/office BT equipment. There were never many cell phones that supported it.

Apple nowhere tells the Class BT on their devices but the Apple Bluetooth Manual that I found stresses that the connection is valid for a maximum of 33 feet. This would indicated their devices are Class 2 and not Class 1.

• HenryFSU Level 1 Level 1

I am just wondering if it will allow me to talk up to 300 ft away from the iPhone 5S?  I don't technically need 300ft range, but more than the normal 30ft that you hear out there.

expertise.itunes
    iTunes

deggie wrote:

The OP is talking about using a Class 1 headset they will only pair with a Class 1 equipped device

Never heard of BT being capable of only pairing with same class.

But Class 2 and Class 1 devices will only work at the lowest class distance (ie. class 2 ~30 feet).

expertise.itunes
    iTunes

HenryFSU wrote:

I am just wondering if it will allow me to talk up to 300 ft away from the iPhone 5S?

Extremely doubtful.

You may get a bit more than 30 feet but don't bet on it.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

I seriously doubt it. I can't find any current cell phone models that support Class 1 incluiding the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5.

I still have a Class 1 headset I used back in the day with a desktop phone system. I also had one of these: http://www.trust.com/en/all-products/13853-bluetooth-adapter-class-1-usb-bt180 to use with a computer. As you can notice from the link they are no longer available.

The headset does not pair with my iPhone 5 nor a friends latest Nokia. There were a few computers that supported Class 1 but I never had one.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

I was told that the one I have should work with a Class 2 device but it never did. Called a higher level of tech support and they said it wouldn't work. It may be model dependent.

Never did get 100m range, or anything close to it with the Class 1 and it was subject to far more interference than with anything else I ever used.

To me they are a waste of money to use with a Class 2 device.

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

100% agree with Chris, you will never get more than the 33 feet that Apple specifies and even that is only under ideal conditions.

I'll test it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.  I appreciate all the help!

• deggie Level 9 Level 9

Hope it works, but as Chris said you won't get anything about 30 feet most likely.

Which headset did you buy?

I bought a Jabra Motion UC.  It actually worked quite far from my iPhone 5S.  I would not call it 300ft, but I bet I was easily 200ft before the audio started to crackle.  So guess it's not 300ft capable, but way more than just 33 feet.

Previous 1 2 Next