Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to set up iTunes to run on my local network, independent of the internet because of a bad internet connection.

I have Hughes Net, for internet. Due to this, iTunes in the cloud, does not operate for us. I need to put my music on a local drive, and create a network drive, to use iTunes, while at home. (I'm still not sure about how I'll handle the music on our iPhones). I have a current AirPort Extreme, (802.11ac), and I have a 64gb flash drive, as well as a 1.5TB external SATA drive, that can be used. I'd like to NOT have to keep the MacBook Pro powered on all the time, but would still like to play music, through/on my iPads and iPhones, while at home.

How can I set this up, to run, independent of the cruddy internet service, which won't allow me to stream a single song, without stopping to buffer, for multiple long periods, during one song?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 7:13 PM

itunes can share music over the network without an internet connection, but you will need a computer running itunes powered on to be able to share it (setup in itunes by going to file (windows) or itunes (mac) > preferences > sharing)

if you just want to setup a network attached storage drive for the network that holds all the music that would be done independently of itunes and you would need a compatible NAS drive (I don't believe the airport is technically a nas drive but you could ask that section of support communities as well https://discussions.apple.com/community/wireless/airport)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2014 7:13 PM in response to SharkmanDan

itunes can share music over the network without an internet connection, but you will need a computer running itunes powered on to be able to share it (setup in itunes by going to file (windows) or itunes (mac) > preferences > sharing)

if you just want to setup a network attached storage drive for the network that holds all the music that would be done independently of itunes and you would need a compatible NAS drive (I don't believe the airport is technically a nas drive but you could ask that section of support communities as well https://discussions.apple.com/community/wireless/airport)

I need to set up iTunes to run on my local network, independent of the internet because of a bad internet connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.