Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV 3 remote keeps controlling my Television volume. How do I stop this?

Since forever, My Apple TV 3 remote keeps changing the volume on my TELEVISION. I have searched the solution, but the only similar problem I find Apple TV users are having is that its controlling the volume on their Macbooks. I am yet to find anyone with the same problem. Can anyone help. Sometimes it turns the volume up and sometimes it turns it down.. My TV make is LG if its any use.

Thanks in advance.

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 11:52 PM

16 replies

Apr 5, 2015 4:31 AM in response to judge2001

Sounds in both instances as though the AppleTV Remote is issuing identical signals to the ones the other devices use for volume.

I would suggest using the Remote app on an iPhone/iPad to control AppleTV , unless you can place AppleTV distant from the TV so that you have to point the Remote in a different part of the room to control it.

AppleTV Remotes send some kind of 'identity code' which is how Apple devices can be paired to different Apple remotes eg pair a Mac with one remote, AppleTV with another to prevent the remotes affectin each other.

Each remote you have is likely to have a different ID code but the number of codes may be finite so not impossible to have two the same. For this reason Apple has provided a way to change the UID of a Remote:

You might want to change the UID if you're setting up more than one Apple TV in a room, or if you're using a non-Apple remote. To change the UID, hold Menu and Select for six seconds.

Using your Apple remote for Apple TV - Apple Support

You could try that - if the existing UID of the Apple Remote forms part of the other devices remote code, changing the Apple Remote UID might solve the issue.

Apr 6, 2015 12:16 PM in response to RuudAzz

If you have an iPhone or iPad I would would try the Remote app. If the problem does NOT happen with it, but does happen with the Apple device remote then there must be some IR command cross over, which would be really odd.

I do not think the universal remote idea will pan out for two reasons.

1. Only a handful of very high end universal remotes support ATV.

2. The universal remote will be transmitting the same IR commands the existing remote is sending so would still have the same problem.

Not great options, but some other possible things...

1. It is a long shot but you could try getting a replacement ATV remote $20 from BestBuy and take it back if it does not work.

2. Run the audio throw a stereo system so it controls the volume instead of the LG TV.

My Apple TV 3 remote keeps controlling my Television volume. How do I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.