Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps "restoring" "read list" and bookmarks

Hi all,

Just bought a MBP Retina and wanted to transfer my bookmarked files from my Air to my new MBP. I don't use iCloud, so i copied the bookmarks.plist file over to my new computer. However, whenever i reboot my computer the folders in which I keep my bookmarks are rearranged, and the most current items on my "read list" (not sure what it's called in English).

Any idea on how to get Safari to not behave like this?

// nejo1

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 7:27 AM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2014 10:52 AM in response to nejo1

An alternative would be to delete the bookmarks already there then use Migration Assistant to transfer the bookmarks from the Air to the MB Pro > OS X: How to migrate data from another Mac using Mavericks

But, that won't sync your bookmarks moving forward.

Best way to do that is to use iCloud > Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

You get 5GB's of free storage. Your bookmarks will sync automatically anytime you add one or move one to a different location with in Safari on either Mac.

Congrats on your new MacBook Pro Retina !!!

May 1, 2014 8:59 AM in response to nejo1

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

• Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?
  • In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?
  • What is the Modified date?
If you don't have read and write access to the item, change the settings as directed here. Note, however, that if one file has wrong access settings, most likely others do as well. If the item is locked, unlock it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

May 1, 2014 9:31 AM in response to nejo1

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File Import Bookmarks

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Arrange the bookmarks as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post again.

Safari keeps "restoring" "read list" and bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.