Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri does not speak directions in the maps app. Hardware: iPhone 5s OS: 7.1.1

Siri has stopped speaking directions in the maps application and does not speak when depressing the large circular button at the bottom of the screen although will display directions and will answer if a question is asked verbally. The volume is up. This problem began suddenly while using Siri to speak GPS mapping directions while traveling in Italy. Prior to this there was no problem. Resetting the phone by holding the power and start buttons simultaneously did not fix the issue.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1, Volume is up.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 3:51 PM

I just solved my own problem.

Solution:

While using the Maps application for directions, tap the bottom of the page and look for the speaker icon on the lower left before it disappears.

Tap that speaker icon and select the desired volume. Deselect "no voice". The speaker icon is only only present when Maps is being used for directions rather than simply as a map. Problem solved.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2014 3:51 PM in response to JICNJ

I just solved my own problem.

Solution:

While using the Maps application for directions, tap the bottom of the page and look for the speaker icon on the lower left before it disappears.

Tap that speaker icon and select the desired volume. Deselect "no voice". The speaker icon is only only present when Maps is being used for directions rather than simply as a map. Problem solved.

Dec 29, 2017 1:50 PM in response to Sea eagle

You might try disabling the phone’s Bluetooth option (Settings/Bluetooth).

I recently had this problem when in a car where my phone had been connected to the stereo via Bluetooth. I shut the stereo off but the map app appeared to still be attempting to communicate through Bluetooth. When I tapped the bottom of the screen the volume button had the Bluetooth logo on it (the volume was set to normal). My short-term fix was to turn off the phone’s Bluetooth service which causes Siri to again communicate via the phone’s speaker. I didn’t try turning the phone’s Bluetooth service back on to see if voice directions still worked. I was lost, and in a hurry. :-)

Siri does not speak directions in the maps app. Hardware: iPhone 5s OS: 7.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.