Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are PDFs transparent in iBooks Author?

I'm using the Gallery widget to display PDFs in iBooks Author, but the PDFs are coming across with transparent backgrounds. This is okay, except when you tap to enlarge them -- with the black background, they become un-readable.

How can I make the PDFs display with a white background?

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 4:33 PM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2014 7:18 PM in response to katyscott22

I just converted 3 images to PDF - opened the widget and inserted them into the gallery - previwed on Mac... I dont see anything wrong. No transparent backgrounds

How were the pdfs created... ? are they within the coreect sizes?

The Black / White background is a separate and different issue and has a number of long threads - White is default and changing it to black is discussed at length. You could try a search of the group.

May 1, 2014 7:44 AM in response to vinnyvg

The PDFs were created with Microsoft Publisher. They are magazine-style text layouts. If I export the PDF as a PNG, it resolves the problem (white background, instead of transparent). However, the quality is much worse.

It seems like this is something I should fix with the PDF file, rather than iBooks Author. I was just hoping there was an easy fix within iBooks Author to save time, since I'm working with quite a few PDF files, which I already have to import one page at a time.

May 22, 2014 1:59 PM in response to katyscott22

After much research and trial and error, it turns out giving a transparent PDF a white background is nearly impossible. It seems like the best solution to this problem is to use the Keynote widget. I've imported the PDF pages into Keynote, added a white rectangular background to each, and used some of Keynote's cool features to make it a little more interactive (see example here).

Problem: users can't zoom in on the PDF, which isn't ideal. But it's the best solution I've found so far.

Apr 15, 2015 4:54 PM in response to katyscott22

I have the same issue. It seems to happen only with newer versions on the iBook. I used an older version of a iBook I created to update it. When I add a new Gallery widget to the existing iBooks it does the same thing. The older widgets still work fine. I tried cutting and pasting and old widget then adding a new PDF and it does the same thing. In the cut and paste Widget, the 2 older PDF's worked fine and the new PDF didn't.

Have you found out anything else that might help? Thanks,

Why are PDFs transparent in iBooks Author?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.