Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ImageWriter II Printer Stuck on Power On

Hi, I just reclaimed an ImageWriter II from the garage, but when I turn it on it makes a horrible groaning/grinding sound, and the print head fails to move. It seems it's stuck and can't return to the home position.

Any ideas on releasing it?

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 11:35 PM

Applelime,

Are there any obstructions? Is there any evidence of rust? If you take the belt off, will the head slide freely?

The noise makes it sound like the motor is working but the head has seized on the stainless steel rod.

There is a tensioning spring for the pulley that holds the belt. If you remove the screww to release the tension, the belt should come off easily. Then try moving the head manually.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2014 11:35 PM in response to AppleIIme

Applelime,

Are there any obstructions? Is there any evidence of rust? If you take the belt off, will the head slide freely?

The noise makes it sound like the motor is working but the head has seized on the stainless steel rod.

There is a tensioning spring for the pulley that holds the belt. If you remove the screww to release the tension, the belt should come off easily. Then try moving the head manually.

Apr 30, 2014 11:49 PM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Thanks. I loosened the belt, and knocked the transport carefully with a metal screwdriver and hammer. It came loose, and now returns to home position on the left when switched on.

New problem now that maybe you can help with. The red error light blinks regularly (about twice a second). I have tried running a test by holding down form feed on startup, but it fails due to the blinking. Is this just because it isn't connected to a computer? (I don't have the cable, but I want to get it working for sale purposes on eBay.)

Thanks!

Apple ImageWriter II Printer Stuck on Power On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.